Installed New Ram Is Slower Than The Old Ram?

ElaJohn

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Hi, Tom's Hardware! I got a problem related to RAM. I got this really old desktop sitting in my basement for my daughter, running Intel Core 2 Duo E7400, Mobo is ASUS P5SD2-VM, so I installed this 2x2 4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM I bought from an online store and it's slower than the previous one I had which is a single 2GB 333MHz RAM. Computer performance(watching videos stutters, internet surfing, etc.) is noticeably slower when using these new RAMs. I tried checking the BIOS if there's anything related to RAM settings, but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right settings.

Here's a snip of the new RAM:
Reya1qJ.png
Here's the new RAM I bought online:
lFL4xpJ.jpg

CPU-Z lists the memory base speed in the DRAM Frequency box. All DDR memory is going to run at double the base speed, so if you see a base speed of 333 or thereabouts, you're running at a DDR rate of ~667.

To correctly utilize 4 GB of RAM, you must be running a 64-bit installation of Windows.

Is the CPU-Z screen shot you posted of the system with the 2 new memory modules installed? If the modules are correctly matched, one would expect them to run in dual-channel mode, not single.

Anything other details you can share about the system, such as the version of Windows and bit-depth it's running?

ElaJohn

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Yes, I didn't took a snip of the old RAM installed, is it necessary for more info? If so, I could do it. It's running W10 Pro x64. Should I expect better performance at all? I'm literally close to go back with the old RAM.

ElaJohn

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure the temp is fine. I ran Malwarebytes first hand, but no, there's no feedback of infections.

ElaJohn

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

No, I have the nVidia 7300SE/7200GS installed.

ElaJohn

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Yes. I'm using the drivers you posted. I opened up a thread on Reddit regarding this before, it's fine. It's just that when I installed this new set of RAMs the computer started to slow down and I just tested the old RAM earlier and the performance seems to better. I don't know what's causing these slow downs throughout.