1440p 60hz vs 1080p 144hz on a 27 inch monitor?

Apr 27, 2018
Hi there. I am looking for a new monitor but am torn between 1440p 60hz and 1080p 144hz. I’ve heard 144hz is amazing but I’ve also heard the same about 1440p. I could get a 24 inch 1080p monitor with similar ppi to a 27 inch 1440p but I feel like 24 inches is a little small for me. I could also always go for both but I’m not sure it would be worth it considering I probably wouldn’t be hitting at least 120+fps in a lot of titles. Is 144hz as good as people make it out to be? Also, one thing that is making me lean away from 144hz is that some games aren’t optimized well so they only get 60 to 80fps. So does going from 144hz in one game to 60fps in another game really suck? That’s what I am curious about. Thanks!

Solution
For some it can be an adjustment going back and forth.
If you're hardware isn't capable of hitting the 120+ mark with the desired graphic settings then just opt for higher resolution at 60hz. Even though the PPI is the same it will still look sharper for the most part since it's higher res.

However, if you can hit the 120+ mark or even 100hz with graphic settings that you are OK with to be able to do so in the titles you play most then maybe go for higher refresh rate at 1080p.

also, I have 21.5 in screen (that's without the bezels) that are 1080p and they look fine and I used have my PC plugged into a 42in HDTV that was 1080p and that looked great too so I would say 24in is perfectly fine for size as long as you're not sitting more...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
For some it can be an adjustment going back and forth.
If you're hardware isn't capable of hitting the 120+ mark with the desired graphic settings then just opt for higher resolution at 60hz. Even though the PPI is the same it will still look sharper for the most part since it's higher res.

However, if you can hit the 120+ mark or even 100hz with graphic settings that you are OK with to be able to do so in the titles you play most then maybe go for higher refresh rate at 1080p.

also, I have 21.5 in screen (that's without the bezels) that are 1080p and they look fine and I used have my PC plugged into a 42in HDTV that was 1080p and that looked great too so I would say 24in is perfectly fine for size as long as you're not sitting more than 3 feet away from them, otherwise smaller text can be more of a pain to read but you can also change the scaling to suit your needs in that regard.

Perhaps you would consider giving us your budget to make some recommendations for monitors that will suit your needs while fitting in your budget or even costing less than your budget.

Going based on the information you provided me so far I would assume you were looking at the cheapest option for both on PCPP which puts your initial budget at $200. But if you have a bigger budget than that then we can definitely recommend other options for quality of panel and not just the resolution and refresh rate.

But here is a recommendation based on that info, it's 1080p but it's ultrawide so it's a resolution of 2560x1080 at 25in which makes the top to bottom size similar to a 22/23 in monitor that's 16:9 aspect ratio. It's also 75Hz capable AND it's IPS which means better viewing angels and much better colors. And it's about $50 less than your two options you were looking at.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xv38TW/lg-monitor-25um58

Additionally for $230 (before taxes of course) you can go one up for 29"
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MRvZxr/lg-monitor-29um58p

Solution