ThEbEsTkiLllLeR

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Hello everyone! I currently have:

Rx 480 Nitro+ OC 8gb
I5 6500 3.6Ghz
16GB Ram Dddr4 Crucial 2133Mhz
Asrock H110-DVS R2.0

My cousin wants to buy my cpu + mobo for his pc.
I found a good deal on an ryzen 7 1700 which comes with the wraith spire cooler (Hopefully I can OC it a bit :) ) and an MSI B350 TOMAHAWK motherboard.

However I think that my ram is quite slow (since I heard that ryzen needs fast ram ) which is just 2133 Mhz. I heard that I can OC it to 2400mhz but I dont know if I can because my motherboard doesn't support memory overclocking.
Will I be able to overclock my ram on the new motherboard? And also.. is 2400Mhz enough for ryzen? (I will use my pc mainly on gaming and broswing and I want it to be as future proof as possible)... I dont want to buy new ram because it's so expensive right now... Or should I leave it at 2133 mhz?

RAM link: https://www.adorama.com/ct2k8g4dfd82.html
Thanks and sorry for my bad english :)

1st Gen Ryzen was picky on RAM on launch, but greatly improved after months of Agesa updates, ect. I had a 1700 for a short time combined with 3200 RAM, but ultimately sold to a family member. That said, Ryzen does benefit in gaming FPS from higher frequency memory due to lower latency and faster infinity fabric. Prices are high though as you pointed out.

Also, if you mainly game, namely 1080P, you could lose FPS vs. your current system. Overall though, the extra cores/threads should provide better computing experience as it ages if keep for many years and software becomes more multithreaded.

Regarding OC, mine was up to about 3.85Ghz stable. 3.9 needed much more voltage. Was using a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF for testing.