How to change BIOS settings to detect Graphics card

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Over the past few days, my computer's been acting pretty slow in terms of gaming, even to the point where it froze up three times in a single day! The next morning, I disconnected the PC tower and cleaned out all the dust that was inside it. But when I plugged the cable into the graphics card, (the VGA slot, I believe), the monitor got no signal. I had to plug it into a different slot in order to get the signal going, at the cost of being able to play my games. I ended up talking to a lady on Nvidia tech support and she said that the BIOS setting was reset when I unplugged everything, which is why the monitor gets no signal when it's connected to the graphics card. How do I change the BIOS settings to detect my graphics card AND get signals to my monitor?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
She either didn't understand your question correctly, or was just plain wrong. Unplugging the power cord to the PC will not cause anything to change in BIOS. Neither will unplugging the cable from gfx card to monitor. Are you sure you plugged the monitor back into the gfx card and not the integrated video port?

If everything is connected properly and the card was detected before, it should be detected now. Even resetting the BIOS should not keep the card from being detected.

Hopefully you didn't use a can of compressed air and blew something loose from the motherboard or gfx card.

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018

No, I made sure that I was plugging it into the graphics card, that's when I wasn't getting a signal. Also, we were using a small hand vacuum to clean it, then a slightly stronger vacuum to blow out what little remained. Everything seemed fine, other than I've currently got the power cord in another blue slot, which is the only way right now to get a signal to the monitor.

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018

I did. Now the fricken monitor won't get a signal no matter where I plug in the cable. :pfff:
oh, and my system components are Windows 10, 64-bit, with an 8-year old AMD processor.
My graphic card is the Nvidia GT 610 (I know, it's a potato :pfff:)

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
If I could check it, I would, but going from memory... the PC is an HP Pavilion 2010, Windows 10, digitally upgraded from 7. The model would be HPP6000, or least that's what I put when I was on the HP website (which was no help!)

slayerjoe31

Prominent
Apr 28, 2018
Ok, so it's been a while since I last posted here, so I'm gonna try and revive this thread. The problem is that my PC's monitor wasn't getting a signal when I plugged it into the graphics card. Because of that, I had to plug the cable into another slot on the PC. Now, my monitor won't get ANY signal. It's driving me freaking crazy! It has to be the graphics card, the cable, the monitor itself, or some combination. Which do you guys think it is?