Dish TV DVR Questions (Can I, How, Will it Work?)

kripkeauto67

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I've been recording and archiving shows off Dish for years now. I've bought multiple EHD's, DVR expanders and the like. Learned how to format an external hard drive thru the Dish software. Spoken with countless reps, agents, techs and supervisors. Not once did they tell me this could happen. Now I'm moving and they're telling me because these dvr's are leased, we can't simply move the DVR to the new address. There is no option to buy either. So ok, what about taking the EHD and just getting a new receiver at the new address? Surely that will work right? Apparently not, since I'm told everything is keyed to this account and not compatible. What?! So I've wasted countless hours archiving these programs, and now simply because I'm moving, I can't view them?

Somebody please tell me this isn't true, and that Dish is either lying to me or just don't know how to do it. I want to be able to take a previously formatted EHD that programming from the dvr has been transferred to, and either plug this into any compatible receiver to play OR plug into a computer to play or copy to the computer and play. I don't care about difficulty or whether Dish likes it. At this point they've wasted a lot of my time and effort. I just want to know if it can be done without spending a lot of money.

Thanks to anyone who can offer real help with this problem.

popatim

Titan
I don't know if they were lying. I do know the recorded/archived shows are all encrypted and you won't be watching them on a pc.

You used to be able to watch shows archived on the external HD on another Dish but I do not know if that is still true or not.
Do not put it past Dish to lie to you just to sell you something you don't need. And if you ever send equipment back, get delivery signature confirmation at a minimum, return receipt if possible but that's more expensive.