hifiman he400i or sony wh1000xm2+ath ad700x

Status
Not open for further replies.

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
Hey guys, so basically I now use an ath ad700x for soundstage games like pubg, csgo etc and I use my wh1000xm2's for everything else (music, other games). My question is will the 400i be a significant upgrade for both music and games? (basically I want to use my sony's only for on the go) I listen mostly to techno and house music so I dont need something super neutral sounding, and im using an e10k as amp/dac.

D

Deleted member 217926

By all accounts the 400i is bass lite making it pretty much the opposite of what you want for electronic music. Not to mention the HiFiMan build quality issues.

Some considerations.

Philips Fidelio X2
Sony MDR1A
Meze 99 Classics
Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 variants - Have to get them used as they're not available new at the moment but they're the best bass/electronic headphones under $1000.
Massdrop HD 6XX - Drop just ended and you have to wait forever for them to ship when they're available but they're HD 650s for $199. Best deal in the headphone world.

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017

thanks for the reply, i was looking at the fidelio x2's as well. Would it be a significant upgrade from my wh1000xm2's? (im relatively new to the audio world so i dont notice very small differences in eg lows/highs)

D

Deleted member 217926

The Sonys you have are Bluetooth / noise cancelling? Yeah I'd think the X2s would be a pretty significant sound quality upgrade. And they are warm and bassy.

The Monoprice M1060C would be another contender. The 1060 is considered to sound great for the price but Monoprice had build quality issues with it. The 1060C is a new updated, better sounding driver and they've fixed some of the build flaws.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29513

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017

funny enough i stumbled upon the m1060, looking around yesterday. I'll be sure to check out the 1060c as well. Thanks for the confirmation.

D

Deleted member 217926

On youtube check out Z Reviews for some colorful ( NSFW language ) reviews. For more 'correct' reviews I like Metal571 and Innerfidelity.

Seriously though if you're looking at ~$300 range cans look for some used Massdrop x Fostex TH -X00s.

Purpleheart - very V or W shaped. Boosted highs and lows. Recessed mids.

Mahogany - Closer to the Purpleheart but less emphasized. Still 'fun'. <-- I own them.

Ebony - Flat and neutral but with greater bass extension than either of the others. <--- I own them.

You won't find better electronic/EDM/Pop music headphones for less. The Ebony does surprisingly well with just about anything. Worth checking ebay. Also Massdrop is working on a new revision with detachable cables fixing the one major complaint against the first models.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pFM_hW33bw"][/video]

martijnbove

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017

are those "sound demo's" on zeos' channel representative? Because DAMN that th-x00 blows me away. Sounds a lot better to me then the m1060's

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep his sound demos are excellent. I liked the TH-X00s enough I bought 2 of the 3 versions available. You can check the headphone and home audio link in my sig for my stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.