Everyone saying not to use CM Hyper T2 with 7700k

Apr 30, 2018
I recently purchased a CM Hyper T2 and had no issues other than with everyone on the internet. Apparently the T2 is garbage, I think it's viable for a 7700k - Prove me wrong? I'd love to buy a new CPU cooler, but unless someone can explain CPU Cooler degradation or something, it's hard to justify throwing 30$ down the toilet.

I have a stock CM case with 5 fans inside of it.
i7-7700k with the CM Hyper T2 on it.
16 GB of DDR4
Corsair 750 watt PSU
(No GPU as of yet)

I ran a Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stress test, my CPU didn't go above 72° and would sit at 68° for the most part. It didn't thermal throttle or any kind of throttle.

My CPU idles between 30-33° in Core Temp.

I do NOT plan to overclock. I am happy with 4.5 Ghz max. I can get a different CPU cooler if someone can explain to me that it's a necessity, or if I should leave it alone and be happy with the results?

The Extreme Tuning Utility absolutely does have a CPU stress test, which will equal a Prime 95 v26.6 load on the CPU, temperature-wise; I've run it myself on my own 7700K....; with a Noctua NH-D15, I'd get about 66-67C on the test, same as P95...

Apr 30, 2018

mppzysw

But it says it does a CPU stress test .. I ran it for 10min and the temps would sit at 68 for most of the test but sometimes jump to 72.

That is what I was thinking lol .. Just have a habit of buying a part then googling the reviews. o_O Thank you.

The Noctua NH-D15 is $141.99 without tax where I live in Canada ... A difference of $110 for roughly 6-8 degrees lower in temps.. Maybe I just got lucky, idk.

Prime95 latest version gets my CPU temperature over 90°C. The XTU benchmark gets my CPU hotter than the stress test; that's why I question its usefulness. It also doesn't keep the CPU 100% busy.

Don't run stress tests with such a budget cooler. I had a Cyrorig H7 with my 7700K at first and Prime95 it would hit around 85C. Gaming was fine though at around 70C. But then Assassin'c Creed Origin caused it to hit 86C, kind of crazy. So I upgraded coolers because I was wanting to see how far I could overclock also.

Bottom line is if your games don't run your CPU hot then don't worry about it. But, that can always change as games change. So, that could be a reason to upgrade at some point. I'd say something simple like the Cryorig H5 or Noctua NH-U12S. Affordable yet effective.

P95 v26.6 was the commonly recommended 'more reasonable' cpu load (w/ small FFTs) load often recommended, and, I found it to run 8C cooler (at 68C) than a later version (v 28.1) I tested. (Intels XTU stress test ran 65C on my sample. (If you are only hitting 68C with the same test, that's quite acceptable for that cooler, IMO)

Games and applications that take advantage of the new instructions can get the CPU hotter than P95 26.6; that version is fine as a base thermal test, but the latest version is excellent to ensure the CPU will never throttle, no matter what application is used.

I've yet to see a game induce loads as high as P95....although BF1 comes in close at 63C, but still 5C short of P95 26.6.... :)

(Not everyone's cooling solutions will withstand later versions of Prime95 with a 7700K, and this is... or was... pretty well known...)