Fresh Install of Windows 7 Home Premium after installing new SSD and brightness controls turn screen black

Apr 26, 2018
HP Pavilion DV6-6c35dx
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD A8 Vision
Radeon HD 6620G

So I have another thread about not getting the brightness controls to work at all after my HDD died and I installed a new SSD, loaded up Win7 with recovery disk and everything has been fighting me along the way. I have since dug around online and gotten some additional applications for AMD/ATI Radeon stuff, new and legacy versions of Catalyst, etc. I have brightness control interface now (icon on the screen that reacts to pressing the F keys associated with brightness), but that was only half the problem.

Brightness is maxed out. I try to turn it down using the F keys associated with it, and I get the icon with the boxes beneath showing the brightness level. I turn down brightness, and the icon functions normally, boxes disappear indicating that the brightness is being turned down. And then...the screen goes black. It has to be set to max brightness or the screen is unusable. The backlight stays on (on what seems like the lowest possible setting), I can see very very dimly whatever was up on the screen if I really look for it, but the screen is black and it is completely unusable unless set to 100% brightness. It literally goes from 100% to nothing, regardless of the brightness level indicated. And it takes about 5 seconds - press the F key to turn brightness down, get the icon (no change in actual brightness, however) and then boom - black.

Tried in Safe Mode, no brightness control at all, no icon, nothing. The last thing that I can tell that is abnormal is the "Generic PnP Monitor" on my device manager. I remember this used to have a real name, not just generic. But I have no idea what it was before, or I'd just try choosing it from the custom list of drivers. Why is this "Generic PnP Monitor" rather than the monitor that is in the computer, like it used to be on this list before the re-install of Windows 7?

And what the heck do I do about this? AMD stuff is right. HP tools (software manager, support assistant, etc) all say everything is how it should be. I tried uninstalling the display and driver, scanning for changes, restarting...nothin'.

HELP!!! This has surpassed my scope, and I cannot find anything of use online. Lend me your beautiful brains and extensive experience. I really want my computer back!

Solutions, suggestions, experiences, anything. I'm desperate at this point. Thanks in advance!

Apr 26, 2018
I have been unable to locate another monitor to hook to, so I'm not sure how it looks on another monitor. It is an LCD screen, I believe it does have an inverter from what I've found on it online. I am leaning toward that as the cause, so I'm working on getting a replacement. I'll try it on another monitor when I get the opportunity, maybe I'll dig out the HDMI connection for our LED TV and use that. The backlight seems to be okay, I would think there would be more of a problem with the screen all the time than only when I turn the brightness down if the backlight were bad. Or is my reasoning not sound on that part? Could it still be the backlight, even though there's no problems at full brightness?