New PC Build Looking For Opinion/recomendations

mlacount0207

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I asked for recommendations on my second pc build about a year ago (and thanks again to mbilal2 for his/her advice at the time along with everyone else). However, Car issues forced me to push back my build plans. I am once again looking for any input on my plan build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next month or so

Budget Range: $1,000 - $1,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Scientific computing (Not trying to build a workstation or anything, but want decent capabilities), 1080p@60fps gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No (possibly freesync in the future)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Going with an amd build.

Overclocking: Maybe, but in the far future

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2x 1080p @ 60Hz; highest load would be 1080 ultra on one 1080p video playback on the other

Additional Comments: I'd prefer a plain functional case, to one filled with LEDs

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current desktop is 6 years old and I'm looking to upgrade

Planned Build List:New PC Part Picker
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
MoBo: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU Cooler: Stock Wraith Cooler
GPU: MSI Armor MK2 8GB OC (Already Bought from Best Buy for $250)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G 80 PLUS GOLD (I have this lying around that I plan to use)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 (Wish me luck on hitting 3200)
SSD: WD Blue M.2 500GB
HDD: I have plenty of external hard drive space so for my purposes I'm not planning to get an internal hard drive.
CD/DVD: LG - GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer
WiFi: None (I plan to primarily use LAN, but I have a usb based wifi adapter in case I need it)

Any recommendations or comments about my build would be appreciated.
Thanks

Looks pretty good to me. I would go ahead and get that newer power supply (though 750W is not needed; but if you want to Crossfire later it would be good). The old SuperNova NEX G was a lower quality unit than the newer G2, G3, and newest G1+.

That's it from me. I like everything else you picked out.

mlacount0207

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017

Yeah not a big fan of that power supply and actually it is currently being sent in for RMA due to not providing sufficient power. So that may change depending on what EVGA does, whether they send me back a different model or the same.