Windows 10 DriverStore Help - Missing Driver and Unknown Device in Device Manager

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm trying to avoid having to do a clean install if possible. Windows 10 updated to 1803 yesterday on three of my machines. One machine now shows an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager and I've tried everything I can think of to troubleshoot. Please advise on next step before I give up and download a new Windows iso (hopefully updated on Windows site to 1803):

- Unknown device has Hardware ID of BTH\MS_BTHL2CAP. Researching online this is supposedly the Microsoft Bluetooth Protocol Support device.
- Searching online has been unsuccessful in finding the *.inf with corresponding driver. It is a Microsoft driver that appears to normally come with Windows.
- My Bluetooth device is an Intel 8260 and I have tried a few Intel drivers to see if it would correct the issue...no luck.
- I don't use Bluetooth devices with the laptop so I'm not sure if there is an execution problem...more of OCD seeing the yellow exclamation.
- My other two machines, also updated to 1803, don't show the issue with their Bluetooth adapters, and I don't see the driver inf in their driverstore folders (I was hoping I could cut and paste).
- SFC/scannow reported 0 integrity violations
- Windows Bluetooth Troubleshooter reported 0 issues.

Other recommendations?

Colif

Win 11 Master
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mikeynavy1976 : "Windows 10 1803 Device Driver Error - Please help"

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Colif...Per my original post, the Bluetooth is embedded in an Intel 8260 adapter. The laptop is a Dell XPS 13 9350. I've tried several Intel and Dell drivers to see if one of them would make the issue go away but the missing driver is from Microsoft and somehow didn't migrate with the update. I"m stumped on why I can't find it online either...nowhere to download it to fix it. I've looked on a few other forums and it appears I'm not the only one experiencing this issue either.

Phillip Corcoran...I could ignore but I'm also not the only one who has OCD or is annoyed by seeing that "Yellow triangle with exclamation mark" and knowing something isn't right:)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you checked to see if your device has been tested for 1803?

http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln297954/dell-computers-tested-for-windows-10-april-2018-update-and-previous-versions-of-windows-10?lang=en

notices this and links so we don't duplicate answers: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/109146-unknown-device-device-manager-after-1803-update.html - seems you not alone as 1 guy there says he has same problem. Could be the driver isn't signed to work with win 10, I have noticed that other drivers that worked before this patch are not now. Dell may need to update the drivers.