How many years will an i7-7700 (non-K) last as far as future games go?

The Wolf Within

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
And where does this CPU rank compared to other CPUs, and also if you can rate it out of 10 in present time in terms of performance not cost.

I only play games in 1080p, BTW.

Note: I already have the i7-7700 installed.

Impossible to give a good answer since we dont know how technology in games will advance in years to come.

but for games it will last you atleast 4 - 5 years without mutch problems. Games are more GPU dependent.

I would rate it a good 8 out of 10.

But to be honest I would spend just a few more bucks and get the 7700k over the 7700.
It has 500Mhz more in speed. And is about 14% faster.
So according to price vs performance still better value.

Downside for the 7700k is that you have to get an aftermarket cooler since it comes with no cooler and if you wanna overclock you need to get an Z270 motherboard that cost alittle more.

But back to topic. The regular 7700 is by no means a bad CPU when you think about pure gaming.

WildCard999

Titan
It's a difficult question to answer as we really have no idea what future game requirements will be but I'd say roughly 3-5 years. As far as rating it I would put it at 7 out of 10 as there's better performing CPU's for cheaper at this time.

Hi,

To ensure a better longevity, get the k version so you will be able to get extra juice down the line if you need it.

With the difficulty CPU producing 10nm and such, I don't think there will be a boom in power with CPU

(only 5-10 % per generation like we are seeing the last 10 years)

Just my 2 cents dough, I can't foresee the future.

The Wolf Within

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

Thanks for that list. Looks like my CPU ranks pretty high so I don't have to worry about my CPU for a long time. Yours is older but almost as good as mine. If yours lasted this long, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Well obviously nobody has a crystal ball as games being developed today, right now, won't be released for 2-3 years at least as that's how long they take (AAA titles anyway). What we can do is look back in the past at how games over the years have progressed in hardware demands.

Regarding your CPU, we can look back at how older hardware still fares under new titles that are CPU bound at 1080p. There has been no need to buy every new or even a skipped generation of CPU from Intel. There are people still running Sandy Bridge i7 2600Ks in their gaming rigs. This is more important though being able to get by with that at higher than 1080p resolution as the higher demand is shifted over to the GPU.

At 1080p older CPU generations start to show their outdated design and performance. Here's just one example comparing an i7 2600K with an i7 2700K:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_sandy_bridge_core_i7_2600kthe_2018_review_time_for_an_upgrade,21.html

So based on history, you should be fine for many years on that and likely just only need to upgrade the video card down the line. Up to when that CPU starts showing its age. Just keep in mind this is all just speculation and who knows if there will be a big breakthrough in the future in game development technology that is harder on hardware.