Windows 7 or 10 Can't Boot (After multiple steps tried & Different SSDs)

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
So, we have a Dell Optiplex 390 in a small form factor case, that is having problems booting up.

Here are some specs:
i5 [strike]4th gen [/strike] Sorry, I was incorrect. It is an i5-2400 (2nd gen)
8 GB DDR3 RAM
258GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Last night the user said it restarted and then start automatic repairs, but kept freezing on the Windows 10 boot screen. I came in and was able to duplicate the issue and started troubleshooting.

I tried a System Restore & Resetting the computer through the Windows 10 Troubleshooter and it kept doing the same thing. I then tried to boot into Safe Mode (with networkng, Command Prompt, etc...) and it still couldn't boot up. Then I cloned an identical Optiplex 390 to a different SSD and it would freeze on the same exact place in the boot process. I then formatted and deleted the SSD and ran a Windows 10 Pro installed from a USB. It booted up most of the way and then started some updates and it froze and the screen went blank. I decided to wait it overnight and start back up this morning.

This morning I tried to boot it up and it froze on the boot screen, so I deleted all the volumes on the SSD and installed Windows 7 Pro. Booted just fine, except we don't have any extra Windows 7 Pro product keys and it wouldn't accept the Windows 10 Pro product key. So, I decided to try to upgrade it from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and it froze again trying to download an update for Windows 10 Pro. So, I then tried another SSD and same result.

I figure I am missing something that it could be, but can't figure this out. This PC has been in use for about 6 months with an SSD and 6 months before that with a mechanical drive and has been Windows 10 Pro since we got it.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Adding more information:
Had to install Windows 7 again to get Speedfan on it.

jgonCgH.png

I am currently on the 3rd SSD right now. I also, ran a memtest last night and everything checked out. After it finished installing updates for WIndows 7 it now gets stuck on the Starting Windows page, with no color pulsing like it does when Windows it loading.

Lastest Update

BIOS is up to date.

I switched hard drives with a known working Optiplex 390 and the SSD worked on the "New" Opitplex 390. I took the mechanical drive that was in the "New" Optiplex 390 and put it into the 390 that has been giving me the problem.

Once I had the mechanical drive in there I tried to boot it up and it froze on the Windows 10 boot screen. I tried this with the network cable unplugged 1st, then with the cable plugged in with no change. I then removed 1 RAM stick and tried to boot with same outcome. Switched sticks and same result. then swapped both sticks for known good ones and same result still.

I then ran a Pre-boot assement and here are the results:

Link to results

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
And that is why i dont miss working as a tech! haha Uhhh...first thing i would try if it was me after doing everything you have already done is load up a usb with memtest and check the memory. Possible that there is a bad block on one of the memory sticks that is conflicting? Also, maybe try loading up a program to check system temps, possible that it could be having a heat issue. Try that and get back to us. :)

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

I ran a memtest last night and everything came up good. I just forgot to mention it. I'll see if I can get a program to check the system temp and post what I find. Thanks.

Cystash

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Sounds good, i would also maybe check the hard drive, although being that its an SSD i doubt its failed unless something major wrong happened.

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

Had to install Windows 7 again to get Speedfan on it.

jgonCgH.png

I am currently on the 3rd SSD right now.

A possible issue: The April Update is now out in the wild, and god knows what might be messed up in it. The update was previously delayed R/T work on BSOD issues. Can you find a previous ISO of windows 10 and not let it update during the install process?

check the bios rev of this unit and the working units make sure the dell bios is up to date. if there a video card in the unit pull it see if the onboard video is fine. if not try a test video card see if the onboard video chipset is locking up the pc. as it an older h61 mb check for leaking caps on the mb or any swelled ones. some of the older dells mb had cap issues.

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

No video card is in this unit. BIOS Rev is up to date as well.

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

I'll try the USB boot drive I have and I'll install it without an Ethernet cable so it can't update.

GeorgettaCZ

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Hallo, I used to administrate some 300 of those Dell SFF 390 in a huge warehouse. Hell of a PC, truly... My suggestions:
1. BIOS/Intel AMT updated?? 2. Secure boot disabled? 3. RAM test, HDD surface test? 4.Did u try to put the SSD in a different machine and install whatever windows on it? How about clean install on a different 390er and then moving the installed SSD into the one that seems to have some problem? If it was temperature problem, only getting into BIOS and waiting would sooner or later lead to colabs and restart or shutdown, so I dont think its temperature related issue. I would have guessed the RAM or the SATA controllers driver. Let us know...

JRRR EmCee

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

Lastest Update

BIOS is up to date.

I switched hard drives with a known working Optiplex 390 and the SSD worked on the "New" Opitplex 390. I took the mechanical drive that was in the "New" Optiplex 390 and put it into the 390 that has been giving me the problem.

Once I had the mechanical drive in there I tried to boot it up and it froze on the Windows 10 boot screen. I tried this with the network cable unplugged 1st, then with the cable plugged in with no change. I then removed 1 RAM stick and tried to boot with same outcome. Switched sticks and same result. then swapped both sticks for known good ones and same result still.

I then ran a Pre-boot assement and here are the results:

Link to results

GeorgettaCZ

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Aha, pretty extended investigation, you enjoyed there, do ya?! Si what do we have?!
Healthy HDD from a different healthy 390er with W10 installed and running. Healthy SSD with W10 as well that runs fine in that healthy 390er. And a sick 390er that won't boot in no way. But its diagnostics show no problem. Last thing to change, the PSU. The only thing the diagnostics cant test. Do this! Put the PSU from the healthy 390er to the sick 390er together with the SSD dříve. And put the PSU from the sick 390er to the healthy 390er. Run the both PC and post the results. Good Luck!