Lenovo Mirage Solo Standalone Daydream VR HMD: Fitment Is Its Downfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not understand the value of this item.
There is no way the internal Snapdragon processor can handle games as well as my motherboard CPU, yet they are asking $399 for it.
I can buy a full-on Rift for the same price.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Sure sounds like it.

Look at the minimum specs for Windows MR and Snapdragon 835 is in the ballpark.

Because you don't need a PC! Furthermore, it's untethered and can be used wherever. Rift and Vive both require multiple cameras/lighthouses and confine you to a relatively small space.

If you already have a PC with a decent graphics card, and don't mind the restrictions and requirements of a PC VR HMD, then buy one of those. It sounds like this might not be the HMD for you, and that's okay. We don't need a single HMD that addresses 100% of the market.

I agree bit_user. I've only been researching and following the field for a couple of years so I am relatively new to this
field. But it will probably be at least a couple of years before I jump.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

This sounds like a streaming or wifi problem - not video decode. Surely, a Snapdragon 835 has the horsepower to decode as well as anything you'd compare it with.

As @Blas said, the editing is painfully rough. Lots of duplicated sentences & phrases, and a couple section headings that don't match the content.

I appreciate the focus on build, fit, and other ergonomic aspects, but I find it a bit odd that the VR functionality is almost described as an afterthought. Even video playback was covered first and in more detail!

Worse, almost no attention was given to the tracking accuracy. After Windows MR, this is only the second example we've seen of 6-DoF inside-out tracking. Surely, it deserves some coverage of how robust and versatile it is or isn't? What sorts of environments did you even test it in? How about lighting conditions (besides with the lights off - or whatever triggered "backpack mode").

Finally, regarding the design, I'm wondering how it compares to Lenovo's Windows MR headset. Is this similar, or even a regression in any respect?

I do appreciate the promptness of this review. However, I really wish you would do an update, after revisiting these points and fixing the sloppy editing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.