Lenovo T570 Reinstalling windows not working - Intel M.2 SSD defect?

May 4, 2018
Hi all,

my windows 10 stopped working, when starting a blue screen appears stating REGISTRY_ERROR. I already had the spring update installed, but it worked fine already for a full day, so I don't believe that it is associated with the error. The windows partition is encrypted with bitlocker.

What I've tried so far:

• ■ Restoring to previous windows installation or previos safe points via windows boot medium -> fails with a generic error message
    ■ Recovering from an Acronis backup -> doesn't work fails with write errors, backup file is valid
    ■ Reinstalling Windows -> I cannot select the bitlocker drive to reinstall windows, I tried deleting the partition, this results in error 0x80070017 (and something about crc check)
    ■ chkdsk in console from windows boot medium after entering bitlocker recovery key -> No errors found
    ■ sfc /scannow in console from windows boot medium after entering bitlocker recovery key -> No integrity errors found
    ■ Deleting partitions with gparted -> Fails with input/output write error message
    ■ Lenovo System Diagnostics tool and checked the SSD for errors -> No errors found, however it only does a read test

I assume that the SSD is gone bad without warning..., however when using the command line from the windows boot medium I can still access the disk and the files appear to be still readable.

Now my questions:

• ■ Is there any bootable tool where I can check if my ssd is defect?
    ■ Do I need to change something in the BIOS? May there be any security setting preventing me from reinstalling anything?
    ■ Any other ideas what I could try? I am unsure if I am just missing something stupid or the SSD is really defective.

Thanks for your help, highly appreciated!

If you don't have any suggestions I am probably going to buy a new ssd and send the defect in, it is still in the warranty period.

Regards
Gerald

Solution
Hello Gerald

Before replacing the SSD, can you please try searching for and updating the BIOS if its newer version is available?

For re-installation, can you please try connecting the SSD as a secondary drive to a working PC, and deleting the partition from there?

You can even try to Boot Windows In Command Prompt Externally and run the DISKPART command to clean the entire drive.

Please report back with the results if none of the suggestions work, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!
Hello Gerald

Before replacing the SSD, can you please try searching for and updating the BIOS if its newer version is available?

For re-installation, can you please try connecting the SSD as a secondary drive to a working PC, and deleting the partition from there?

You can even try to Boot Windows In Command Prompt Externally and run the DISKPART command to clean the entire drive.

Please report back with the results if none of the suggestions work, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

Solution
May 4, 2018
Hi viveknayyar007, thanks for your suggestions!

The BIOS is up-to-date.

The laptop has a separate SSD capable slot (M.2 2242), so I bought yesterday a SSD for that slot and installed Windows 10 on it.

I have now checked the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox and it states "Critical warnings" and "Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance", it seems the disk has gone in a read only state from hardware side.

I'm happy that I regularly make backups so I didn't need to worry about my data (indeed the data is still accessible, but I haven't checked the integrity of the data). The disk is less than a year old and still in warranty period so I'm going to send it in.

Regards
Gerald