Help With Clean Windows 10 Re-Install and Hardware and Drivers

JBMonkey

Honorable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello! I have two questions I hope you guys can help me with. I totally appreciate all your feedback!

I am going to do a clean re install (format, etc) of Windows 10 x64. I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.1) motherboard, i7 6700K CPU, and 32GB of G.SKILL RAM.

When I install Windows, should I first remove all other hardware then reinstall them after windows is installed and fully updated?

Specifically PCI hardware I have installed.... I have a NVIDIA Geforce 1070 GPU, elgato video capture card, and a TP-LINK PCI WiFi card.

Second Question

After Windows is installed do I immediately install all drivers that came with my motherboard or do I Install Windows>Update Windows then install drivers?

And what order do I install the drivers? The manual doesn't say. The driver categories I have are:

-AUDIO
-CHIPSET
-LAN
-SATA RAID/AHCI
-USB 3.1
-VGA

And there is also a UTILITY section with GIGABYTE specific apps and other various apps. Do you guys recommend to install all those?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE

Solution
1. Yes, disconnect all other drives.

2. Drivers, then OS updates. It doesn't really matter, but that easiest.
Chipset, LAN, everything else.
Also, get the current drivers from the manufacturer(s). Not what is on your old CD.

3. I never bother with those "apps". Unless it is some function you really need.

4. How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Rumbletum

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Only remove any additional non boot drives as a precaution. Back up important data, and any drivers you have downloaded in the past and which you may wish to use..
Install windows and let it install all updates.
Then check the drivers installed by windows and if they are not as up to date as the ones you presently have retrieve from manufacturers websites etc.

TRENDING THREADS