How do I wipe my HDD (with windows) and install a new version of windows on my SSD?

May 6, 2018
I need help. I currently have a non-activated version of windows installed on my HDD in my computer. I want to completely wipe my HDD, (all the files gone so the computer is clean and fresh) and then install windows on my SSD. I have a CD disk of windows that I assume I need to install on a USB drive. Any ideas on how I can do all this?

Solution

Power off.
Disconnect the HDD
Connect the SSD.
Install the OS. Just like this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Later, reconnect the HDD, and wipe it of ALL partitions.
Not just "format". Delete all the original partitions.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug the data cable from the HDD and then install Win to the SSD. When done plug the HDD back in. At the desktop, simply go to computer management/storage/disk management and delete the HDD's partitions. Then reformat it for use.

You have a DVD of windows,CDs aren't enough to hold a current OS,you'd need a stack of them.
So you are telling us that you don't have a optical drive right?
Get the tool rufus to burn a windows iso to usb,you can use your old DVD or you could download the newest version of windows directly from microsoft,just google for "Windows 10 media creation tool" and you will find instruction from microsoft on how to download the needed files and how to burn a usb for clean installation.

USAFRet

Titan

Power off.
Disconnect the HDD
Connect the SSD.
Install the OS. Just like this:
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Later, reconnect the HDD, and wipe it of ALL partitions.
Not just "format". Delete all the original partitions.

Solution