My new drive will transfer files for a minute, stop, transfer, stop, transfer

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I have been having problems with my Seagate HDD so I ordered a WD drive to replace it. Arrived today, started to transfer files over, immediately ran into issues. The folder would begin transfering then suddenly, the speed would shoot right down and just stop. It would pick up again but then stop again. This carries on till the transfer is done, unless there's a lot to do then it'll just crash. I tried it with another system and it worked just fine on there. I tried other ports on my main system and no go. This is the only HDD that's ever done this and if it works on the other system, what's going on?

Best to copy your most important files in small batches first, prioritizing on the most important.......

Drives only tend to get worse once they begin exhibiting such symptoms....

Fist, see if any errors showing on CrystalDiskInfo...

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

(top left of screen just below very top is correct link/tab, blue icon, standard edition)

Any yellow Caution errors anywhere, on C5/C6? If beyond warranty coverage, get what you need and what you can from it quickly...pitch in trash.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...I tried it with another [non-origiinal] system and it worked just fine on there..."
This is just a wild guess: what background-running programs, utilities, AV, AM, etc. does the original computer haved going on during the folder and file copy process. And, you made a great move doing Copy and Paste rather than Move and Paste! I ask because in my two laptops, since I have quite a bit of back-ground-running stuff -- my Copy and Paste does a fair amount of starting, stopping, waiting, continuing, stopping, waiting, continuing...