Installing Windows 10 on new ssd.

Apr 18, 2018
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Im trying to install windows on my new ssd Force MP500 120gb and i already have windows on my hdd. I tried diconnecting my hdd and installing windows through a CD. But it won't allow me and says the above. I'm not too sure what steps I should be taking to install windows on my ssd.
My motherboard is Gigabyte Z170M-D3H. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
- Disconnect all other hard drives you won't need for the installation process leaving only your M.2 SSD MP500 and your DVD drive attached to motherboard
- In the Bios 3rd TAB >> Bios Features : last 4 lines has an entry : Windows 8/10 features : you'll have a CSM (compatibility Support Module) option to disable enable (default) UEFI CSM = you can disable it if you wish for windows 10 installation (if enabled you will need to double check other entries in the bios making sure Other PCI Device Rom priority is set to UEFI only)
- In Bios peripheral Tab: * check SATA CONFIGURATION entry and make sure it's AHCI; *check NVMe configuration...
Apr 18, 2018

If you mean boot priority then no it's not set to my ssd that i want to install windows on. But it's set to my DVD-RAM. Hope that made sense i dont know much about bios and all.

Kissmyne

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Two things... First off, does the SSD appear in the Boot Priority List? If yes move to my second part.. if no.. plug your Windows HDD back in, boot into it and find the latest firmware for your mobo, after the update.. set boot priority to the drive and make sure it is also appearing in "Boot Options."

Second.. What happens if you set boot priority to the SSD?

Also take a look here.. http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/301/z170x-pcie-nvme-boot-drive

Apr 18, 2018

Same thing as before nothing changes. Looking at the forum i will check and see if i need to update my bios.

R0GG

Distinguished
- Disconnect all other hard drives you won't need for the installation process leaving only your M.2 SSD MP500 and your DVD drive attached to motherboard
- In the Bios 3rd TAB >> Bios Features : last 4 lines has an entry : Windows 8/10 features : you'll have a CSM (compatibility Support Module) option to disable enable (default) UEFI CSM = you can disable it if you wish for windows 10 installation (if enabled you will need to double check other entries in the bios making sure Other PCI Device Rom priority is set to UEFI only)
- In Bios peripheral Tab: * check SATA CONFIGURATION entry and make sure it's AHCI; *check NVMe configuration entry: information about your NVMe SSD info (you might as well check the OFF Board SATA controller configuration entry for more NVMe info)

Page 30 of your motherboard manual: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170M-D3H-rev-10#support-manual

Solution
Apr 18, 2018

There isn't CSM in Windows 8/10 features. I'm upgrading my BIOS at the moment and i think that's my problem.

Apr 18, 2018

It doesn't matter what i chose because i tried both and didn't work it's like sometime it can be installed on and sometime can't. Pisses me off not knowing whats the problem. I installed windows on the ssd the times it worked but once told me that the Os cannot be found. And after that everytime i disconnect the bootable usb it just says that i need to plug in a bootable device even though windows is already installed on the ssd. Can't seem to put my finger on what i am doing wrong.

R0GG

Distinguished
Go page 30 of your motherboard Bios here >> h t tp://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170m-d3h(ddr3)_e.pdf
and go through the options one by one I described earlier in detail in the Bios, some options are hidden within sub menus as you select them
Once windows installed do not remove your installation media, just let the installation guide you whether to do so or not, if prompted to boot from installation DVD again by Bios just let it skip if not needed.

Apr 18, 2018

I didn't notice that earlier about the CSM. That's my fault. I will try now and hope it works.

Apr 18, 2018

I tried removing the flash (switched because the dvd kept getting stuck) and it took me straight to the bios. No boot devices at all.

Apr 18, 2018

And lucky for me only Force MP500 is there nothing else. I feel like im running out of options. Tried almost everything but nothing seems to work. Sorry for troubling you with me.

R0GG

Distinguished
If you disable CSM (compatibility Support module) in your Bios windows8/10 entry, you should get a UEFI windows Loader M.2 SSD boot choice after installing windows 10 in UEFI mode. Take a break, then take your time navigating your Bios options reading from your motherboard manual until you get somewhat familiar with menus and options.

Apr 18, 2018

Well when i turn off CSM the boot option for the ssd disappears so i dont know. Oh well i think i will leave it for another day. Thanks for all the help today. And have a nice day.

TRENDING THREADS