Windows 7 Aero problems after getting x3 4K UHD Monitors (GTX 1080)

May 9, 2018
I recently just upgraded my monitors from 3 4k monitors to 3 4k UHD monitors and now my windows 7 will not re-enable aero. Its been stuck on windows 7 basic color for some reason. I've stopped/started dwm via services and command prompt and they will enable aero for a couple seconds but then revert back to windows basic. I've tried following many fixes and seem to have no luck, my gpu drivers are updated so I'm not sure what the problem could be. There also seems to be a lot of lag/bits left on the monitors like something is wrong with the display drivers here is a screenshot to show an example of what I'm talking about.

I just noticed that my GPU is displaying only as 4095MB rather than 8GB which is what the GPU supposedly is so not sure if this could have something to do with it.

Specs:

windows 7 ultimate x64

CPU: i7 5820K @ 3.3GHz

RAM: 32GB @1066MHz

MOBO: MSI X99A SLI PLUS

GFX: 4095MB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 MSI

Monitors: x3 LG Ultra HD (3840x2160@60Hz)

Storage: 1TB Samsung SSD

Try loading a new Theme. As I recall there is a windows 7 setting to enable Aero. Do a search for the setting.

I would check the properties of the primary monitor in the device manager. There may be drivers for the monitors (other than generic) as well.

Also check the settings and color parameters in the Nvidia Control Panel.

May 9, 2018

I've tried swapping themes that didnt solve it, it still reverts to basic. I've enabled all aero settings I can find. I've also installed the included drivers for the monitors and that did nothing as well. I've fiddled around with the settings and color parameters in nvidia and that doesnt seem to change anything either. Kinda lost currently, its getting very frustrating.

May 9, 2018
So I tried following that guide and on the native resolution it would not work for all three monitors (3840x2160) so I tried scaling them down to 2560x1440 and followed that guide and aero enabled successfully so it seems its something wrong with my graphics card not being able to hand the resolution or whatever? That seems odd though that an 8gb Gtx 1080 would not be able to support 3 4k UHD monitors?

I'm not sure how many it can handle. But that is asking a lot.

I might be something to ask Nvida support about.

I remember seeing several GPUs in SLI for one 4K monitor when they first came out.

May 9, 2018

Tried this rebooted my PC and still met with the same issue. It will enable for a few moments but then jump back to basic.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was worth a shot. Not actually sure what buffer that altered. Results searching win7 video buffer is limited.

The link in the post above where there's talk of restrictive video buffer in Win 7, a 2nd gpu was used to rectify.

So no idea how to increase video buffer size in win7. It'll probably be possible somewhere or some code to modify.

It might be worth a try to increase the virtual memory. It will help in overall performance if nothing else.

May 9, 2018

How do I increase my virtual memory?

In the Windows 7 Control Panel, click on the Performance icon. Then under Performance options select the Advanced menu. That should bring up the virtual memory options.

At the bottom of this it discusses setting up additional virtual memory. Use the custom option to designate virtual memory on one or more drives.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance

I have the initial size set to 10000 MB and max size set to 15000. It essentially triples the Windows recommendation.
It just uses a gigabyte or so of drive space for virtual memory. And that can be duplicated on more than one drive.