Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM transfer

Goyim

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Code:
Is it possible to re-use the same license from the OEM on another system? If so, how do I do that?

Solution
Yes,

You need to download the media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Install on the new system

When prompted for a key skip it, then when the install is complete login with your Microsoft account. You will then need to go onto Edge and login at www.microsoft.com, go to devices, and pick your OLD PC, then choose, replace this hardware. This will walk you through the next steps.

You can also use the Activation troubleshooter,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Follow that article, the second section.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes,

You need to download the media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Install on the new system

When prompted for a key skip it, then when the install is complete login with your Microsoft account. You will then need to go onto Edge and login at www.microsoft.com, go to devices, and pick your OLD PC, then choose, replace this hardware. This will walk you through the next steps.

You can also use the Activation troubleshooter,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Follow that article, the second section.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan

Depends on which OEM license it is.

If its a preinstalled OEM version like you'd get on a Dell, HP, Acer, etc type system then it can't be moved.

If it's a standalone store bought OEM version like you get from a store like Newegg or Best Buy then you can tie it to your Microsoft account and move it to a new system(will deactivate on the old system).

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Actually, no, you aren't supposed to do that.

OEM was the installed by "builder" version, and is cheaper due to being for one build. "Retail" was what they used to call the one you could do 3 transfers with, but I haven't seen that version available since 10 came out.

With that said, for the most part 10 is pretty forgiving with its digital entitlement so long as the system sees "basically" the same build. I have had to call Microsoft on a Mobo change before, using the same basic parts and proc. I have had one instance where I built an AMD system on a 10 pro license, had it up for about a month when I discovered it simply wasn't powerful enough. I swapped the mobo and proc to another AMD and it didn't give me any issue....same SSD, cards, everything else.

By the spirit of the license to transfer it to a new build is technically piracy. Step up and buy a license for your new build.

USAFRet

Titan

For Win 10, the line between Retail and OEM has blurred significantly.
It depends hugely on exactly where the Win 10 OEM came from.

Read and do this before you change any parts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

I would point out some significant important and fuzzy details in that first links info about WHAT is the # of times it can be "reactivated". I have personally run into this reformatting a laptop too many times and spent some time on the phone with MS.

Win 10 is digitally signature via your hardware ID's. The reasoning for doing the account activation process was surely multi faceted. In addition to people making changes that may or may not constitute the "same" system in the eyes of that digital signature, by tying the license to your MS account as well it makes it just that much easier for them to track how many hardware changes that particular license has gone through.
In my own experience and the time frame I update, I have had to call a few times over the years and NEVER had MS turn me down for "transferring" as it were the license. I am sure they will get better at, and more strict on that policy the further we move from that "free" update so many of us took advantage of.

I am interested to see where they go with this in the "11" version.

As a side note, I have purchased every version of Win 10 I am currently using from a retailer, or directly from MS themselves as a download. The retailer versions were OEM, but I cannot recall the MS purchase described as such. Two of my OS "started" life as Win7 Pro and 8.1 Pro retail versions and I have yet to have issue transferring those from decommissioned machines to new builds...and I think that aspect is telling. It will flat out tell you if the license is in use on another machine.

USAFRet

Titan
There isn't, and never was, a specific number of times it could be transferred.

Many people regurgitate the "3 times" thing over the years...I've never seen that in print for a single license. Not for 7, 8/8.1, 10...for the Retail version of any of them.

Yes, there eventually is a "too many". But it isn't a specific published number.

For Win 10 after 1607, it is still tied to specific hardware, but you can manage which hardware via your MS account.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMOE the "3 times" thing comes down to the (typical) number of (re)install you are on when the prompt to call used to come up. It seemed to fall there a lot.

To get back on track. My thoughts are that if you purchased this disc/license from a retailer, you are perhaps good. If it came from the store bought HP you used to have, no.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
A storebought Dell/HP, with WIn 10 preinstalled...probably a no-go.
Buying the Win 10 and installing it on your own. OR upgrading a previous Win 7/8/8.1...no problem.
Even if the original was "OEM".

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

People have been limited by type of device (ie. they have not been able to move a license from a laptop to a desktop) but not brand. While it would make sense to also prevent a prebuilt from transferring to an aftermarket board, suffice to say Microsoft allows it (we have had users whom have done it). If they allow it we have no problem here, in the end you are no longer using that copy of Windows 10 on the old device, so no you are not pirating it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

You have to consider that even "true OEM" builds have failures. Most people who are in a position to be knowledgeable enough to swap a bad mobo from an OEM build aren't going to be foolish enough to pay full retail for the branded part either. In that spirit, when the board crashed in your Dell, it allowed another hardware id for the mobo, but also saw the same ids for other components. I think situations where OEM (branded computer) OS transferred without issue may be related to similar hardware, etc....but IDK.

One of the other sites I used to frequent were rabid about not transferring license, so it's a bit refreshing seeing a couple of moderators have "good sense" about it from a what MS is allowing viewpoint. Just the same, I think from a reasonable consumer point of view we can all agree that if you are transferring the OS from your old Dell tower to the new build you just put together is a bit outside the lines, so to speak. Computer builds like refurbs which can be bought for significantly cheaper prices sans OS is a fine example of that spirit.