Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
I've started having the App Commands menu popping up in the top left corner of my screen. Not sure why it pops up or how to stop it. It seems to have started after the update to Windows 10 Pro version 1803. Anyone have any ideas that may cause this and how to stop it?

This is the menu I'm talking about...

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is curious

does anything happen if you click on the 3 dots? I guess settings just opens the Windows 10 settings menu. Does right click do anything on it?

Is PC custom made or brand name?

there is this box but size is different - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/small-white-box-in-upper-left-corner-of-screen/3e19ea27-f132-48de-b808-817b0b6e72f1

try running the windows store troubleshooter which is found in settings/update & security/troubleshoot

can you show me a screen shot of Task manager? it might give us a place to start

May 9, 2018
If I click on the 3 dots the Windows Setting window opens. If I click on Settings I get an empty settings bar that pops out from the right side. Its driving me crazy. I have to click on something in the window to get it to go away.

I'll get a screen shot of the task manager next time it comes up. Although I thought task manager would show me what it was, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I'll give the Windows Store troubleshooter a try and see if that makes a difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
settings bar? like the action centre? can you give some screen shots?

i thought you might have been in tablet mode but I cannot reproduce that box. Its got me curious as I can't see anything like it searching Google.

I guess its a store app based on how it looks, can you look in the Windows 10 store app (where you download apps from), click on the dots next to photo and select My Library, and show a screen shot here? Then I will search for everything there.. as I hoping its not a default store app as they not listed there...

May 9, 2018
The PC is custom made. Forgot to mention that in my previous post. I can post the hardware in the computer if you think that would help narrow it down, but I've been running it for more than a year without this problem.

I've noticed it seems to be there after I stop using the computer or walk away from my desk for a little bit. I don't have a screen saver set. I do have my power settings set so that my PC never goes to sleep, but my screens turn off after 10 minutes. I have come back to my PC before the screens turn off and the menu be there when it wasn't when I walked away. I've also come back to the screens being off and the menu be there when they wake back up. Not sure if that info helps make any sense of it, but its something I've started to notice. I don't think I have actually seen it ever pop up while I was looking at the screen...

Screen shot of the settings bar that pops up when I click on Settings in the window.

Screen Shot of the Windows 10 Store Library

FYI... I just uninstalled Twitter, Duplicate Cleaner Free, HP Smart, and Toshiba Print Experience from the Microsoft store. Didn't need them or use them anymore. I'm going to restart my PC and I'll update later if uninstalling any of those got rid of the issue.

fgump

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

I too am having this exact same issue. I have not found a solution yet, except for someone mentioning to go into your Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps and shut them off. Hopefully MS resolves this soon. If you find another solution, please share it. Thank you!

May 9, 2018
Well I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one. haha. Putting together a support group now.

I'm still having it pop up even after uninstalling apps from the MS Store I didn't use anymore.

fgump

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

There are others having the same issue and uninstalling apps doesn't look like a fix. In fact some people think it's associated to StarDock apps, but that's not it either since I don't even use that (see thread here ). I've disabled apps from running in the background and so far no popup, but that's not a good solution. It's definitely a Windows issue on the Spring 1803 update. Hopefully be fixed soon.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the file is called applicationframe.exe.mui if it is tied to Skydock - worth looking for even if you aren't running Fences

https://forums.stardock.com/488887/a-problem-with-windows-10-1803-update-creation-of-a-app-commands-share-prin

It is also part of windows 10, used in the menu system.

see if running this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

that will just check out windows.

Another choice is run a repair install - all it removes is any Cumulative patches and since there is only one, you don't lose a lot at the moment - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

May 9, 2018
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth didn't fix it. I had already tried that. I just turned off background apps. I'll see if that takes care of it for now and see if the problem is fixed later with an update.

Jan 11, 2020
This just started happening to me so I did a search and ran across this post. Didn't see a good answer here, and while I was reading through, I believe I found this is a Microsoft Edge function. One time when I clicked settings it pulled up Microsoft Edge, and I never use Edge. So I stopped Edge process in Task Manager and that popup went away and stopped coming back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS