PC won't stay connected to wifi

poptart999

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hi, recently my PC has had trouble staying connected to wifi. After being manually reconnected it will disconnect again in 3 to 5 minutes. The problem is definitely with my PC, as my phone and other devices stay connected fine.

Things I have tried:
Switching WiFi adapters (Linksys WUSB3600 to D-Link DWA-182)
Using the built-in D-Link network utility
Updating drivers
Uninstalling anti-virus software
Plugging the adapter into a different USB
Making sure WLAN services are set to automatic
Changing wifi adapter power settings

I wanted to try uninstalling the latest Windows update (KB4131372) but it won't allow me, even when booting in safe mode. This issue has made my PC unbearable to use and I would appreciate any advice/help. Thanks.

EDIT: I think I figured it out, it was some malfunctioning VPN software.

Solution
You mentioned that you've tried multiple adapters... I've had this same issue with USB wifi adapters before, actually, but I never could pinpoint it. What worked for me, at least temporarily, is going into Device Manager and uninstalling (if possible, both) wifi adapters at the same time, deleting drivers. Without pressing anything, I would then reboot.

ebm9000

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
You mentioned that you've tried multiple adapters... I've had this same issue with USB wifi adapters before, actually, but I never could pinpoint it. What worked for me, at least temporarily, is going into Device Manager and uninstalling (if possible, both) wifi adapters at the same time, deleting drivers. Without pressing anything, I would then reboot.

Solution