I don't have audio coming from my TV and headphones at the same time

Advice Pro

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
When my TV is set as the default device I can hear the PCs audio on it, but not my head phones, and vice versa.race Weather either device is set as default, I can "Test" the other from the context menu. My motherboard has onboard audio, Realtek HD Audio, but I don't know how to uninstall it if that were my next troubleshooting step.

Solution
Plug in your headphones and make sure they're recognized. Then, go into the Windows sound control panel and look at the playback settings. See what is showing as the primary playback device. Change it from the TV to the headphones if it doesn't change by default after they've been plugged in and then disable the TV's output from the Windows panel to see if anything changes.

I run a set of USB connected desktop speakers as well as headphones. Once I plug my phones in, it changes them to the default and no sound is played by the speakers. I would imagine yours should run the same.
Plug in your headphones and make sure they're recognized. Then, go into the Windows sound control panel and look at the playback settings. See what is showing as the primary playback device. Change it from the TV to the headphones if it doesn't change by default after they've been plugged in and then disable the TV's output from the Windows panel to see if anything changes.

I run a set of USB connected desktop speakers as well as headphones. Once I plug my phones in, it changes them to the default and no sound is played by the speakers. I would imagine yours should run the same.

Solution