New Build: Ryzen 5 2400G mini-ITX

Gene Razak

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hello!

I've been thinking about building a new computer with the Ryzen 5 2400G APU. I was (and am) very happy with performance of my A10-5800K computer (no dedicated GPU), so the latest APU should serve my well for the forseeable future.

This is my second build from scratch (the previous being some six years ago), so I'm not exactly knowledgeable beyond guides, reviews and basic knowledge about part compatibility. This will also be my first attempt to build a small (mini-ITX) computer. Any advice on the system, parts or just general pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. I should add that I'm purchasing in Germany. Help sourcing parts isn't necessary, I mainly want to check my build is sensible and if it could be improved.

My objectives:
- Compact computer (mITX)
- Gaming computer (I'm not very demanding), possibly streaming to a laptop
- I'd like to keep the option for a dual monitor setup open, just in case
- Optionally I'd like to keep the computer quiet (without resorting to water cooling)
- Overclocking capability is not required
- LEDs, windows or other decorative elements are also not required. (I like my computers plain)

Approximate purchase date: Within 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: ~500 Euros (hardware only), cheaper is better.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (possibly steam in-home streaming), surfing, some generic office work

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, but it's not considered part of the budget. I'll get something from a local store once the system is running.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. This will be my first Windows 10 system.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.mindfactory.de (Unfortunately in German)

My component selection (Links lead to specs, but purchased elsewhere, so prices do not apply)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 4x 3.60GHz So.AM4 BOX (Using integrated GPU) (Link)

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 Mini-ITX Retail (Link)

RAM: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit (Link)

Power supply: 400 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM Modular 80+ Silver (Link, German only, sorry.)

Storage: System: 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s TLC Toggle (MZ-75E500B/EU)
Used high-capacity (~2TB) HDD for additional space, backup, etc.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini-ITX (Link)

Extra components: Used DVD drive (Old-fashioned but occasionally needed)
Generic keyboard, optical mouse (not part of the budget)

Total cost: ~610€

My remarks and reasoning:

Mainboard:
Mainboards are probably the component I least understand in terms of quality and performance. They were chosen for size (mITX) and price. Other contenders were:
- ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac (Link)
- Biostar Racing X370GTN (Link)

I chose the GA one because of the integrated WIFI and second display port. Having WIFI is a definitve a plus because my living arrangements may not always allow for a cable network connection.

One concern is the BIOS version as not all versions support the CPU. The version the board ships with seems to vary - different customer reviews quote different versions. The mainboard has "Q-Flash", which, if I understand correctly (thread) means I won't be able to update the BIOS myself (no CPU). So I may have to pay extra to have the vendor update the BIOS. I assume this is the case for any cheaper mainboard, though.

RAM:
Clearly prices are mad and I've even considered axing the project because of this. Would 8 GB perhaps be enough for now?* While still expensive it would knock around 70€ off (from 170€) the price. But I'm never sure about RAM usage, especially now that I'm switching to Windows 10 for the first time. Hopefully RAM prices will drop at some point in the future; I could still upgrade to 16 GB then.

*My game library is not exactly cutting edge. The most demanding game is probably Elite Dangerous, and even the A10 (with 16 GB RAM) can handle that to my satisfaction.

Power supply:
The brand seems to be good quality with integrated protection. The model is supposedly quiet, efficient and, based on some online calculators, supplies ample power for this build. It might even support a GPU (just about) and I couldn't find a lower wattage anyhow. (The vendor has a limited PSU selection). It's a modular PSU, very useful for the mITX setup, fits the mainboard (20+4 & 4+4 pin) and has 5 SATA connectors, which is plenty.

Storage:
The SDD was chosen for price and capacity. Another contender is:
500GB Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 2,5" SATA SSD (Link showing both SSDs)
My experience with WD HDDs has been most excellent, so I'd prefer to stick to WD. I only picked the Samsung model due to the warranty (5 vs 3 years). Otherwise both seem pretty much identical (including price), as far as I can tell, but I don't have any experience with SSD longevity.

Case:
The case got good reviews. It accepts an optical drive which I don't want to sacrifice unless I have to, and is still a small case. It accomodates an ATX power supply as well. I'm concerned it might interfere with the boxed CPU fan. (~ 8 cm, 3" clearance based on a review video) I'm fairly indifferent about the integrated fans. If they're too noisy I might replace them. But in the meantime it's nice to have the cooling sorted out.

Suggestions, advice and any other helpful remarks would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance!

Gene

Gene Razak

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

Thanks, I'll be looking more closely at 8 GB RAM options then.

I am building a new system, partly because I'll need a second computer to set up in a new location. Performance-wise my A10-5800K is fine for me as well, but I've been itching to build something new for a while now. I really like the APU concept (and dislike Intel pricing), so the Ryzen 2400G seems like the perfect excuse to finally give in and start tinkering again. I could probably turn it into a cheaper build, too, if it weren't for RAM prices and the rather more expensive mITX mainboards, but you can't have everything. :)

The linked article was helpful, too, so thanks again. The BIOS update will have to be done by the vendor. Either that or I can roll the dice and hope I get an up-to-date specimen, which I'd rather not do.