WD Black 650 GB Running perfectly at almost 27000 hours - should I replace?

ex313

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
I bought this 7200rpm wd black in 2009. With almost 27000 hours on it it still seems to operating fine. Disk diagnostics (crystal Disk and HD Sentinel) say there is nothing wrong with it. The disk is only sata II but I used it as data storage, so there is not much of a performance impact.
Do I bother to spend $44 on a new WD Blue 1tb drive to replace this one or just wait until I start to see some kind of issue? Always seems like there is a roll of the dice with a new hard drive, but I also don't want to risk data loss with this high hour unit.
hd_info.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
27,000 hours or 270 hours or 27 hours is irrelevant.

Waiting until you see an issue is a poor concept. I've seen drives go from perfect to dead in 36 hours.
All drives die eventually. Always have a backup.

If you have data you can't risk losing, store in the he cloud somewhere...better yet, two or three locations.

(14 years later, it might be time for you to consider an SSD! :)

With Google Drive, One Drive, P-Cloud, Dropbox, Box, Amazon Drive, etc., you'd have to *want* to lose data to actually do so....

ex313

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
I have the OS on an ssd, this drive is strictly data files. I do use Amazon S3 services for off site backup in addition to a few other local sources. I do always want to try and stay ahead of the potential failures.
This drive is only Sata II while my board is Sata III, not sure on the data side if it makes much difference.
I guess at this point it makes sense to clean some stuff off it and keep an eye on it - as most of you have said no reason to replace it right now.

RealBeast

Titan
With HDDs SATA 2 v 3 is not an issue, as HDDs cannot saturate either.