Windows 10 takes a long time to go to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
For a few weeks now my PC has taken a long time to turn off after telling it to sleep. Normally it would be within seconds from putting it to sleep for it to turn off, but now it can take up to 10+ minutes. After clicking on sleep, the monitor turns off immediately but the keyboard and mouse lights stay on. It's a different amount of time each night, but it takes a few minutes for my keyboard+mouse lights to turn off after my monitor has gone to sleep and even longer until the rest goes to sleep. So far I haven't had any other issues, it wakes up fine but going to sleep takes forever.

My Windows is all up to date and has been happening before and after the latest update. I don't have any new background processes that might be keeping it up, I've had it go to sleep within 3 minutes while last night it took 11 minutes.

It could be an app preventing Windows from entering Sleep mode.
Open Command Prompt as Admin and type:
'powercfg -requests'
You will see a list of all active power requests and they should return an empty result, otherwise check which is prompting the power request.

Running the Power troubleshooting and see if the fixes the issue
Open the Control Panel and click Troubleshooting.
Click the 'View all' link then click 'Power' to start the troubleshooter.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

There wasn't any power requests and the troubleshooting said it fixed the issue, but it only fixed the long amount of time for my keyboard and mouse to go to sleep. My PC still takes 3-5 minutes to go to sleep and the troubleshooting only switches the setting to tell my PC to go to sleep after 30 minutes instead of an hour.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

I'm on the latest version of Windows, I have an AMD FX 8350 processor, 16 GB of RAM, Asrock 970 Extreme4, and a GTX 1060 6GB. I restored the plan defaults and it still takes 4 minutes until it goes to sleep. It wakes up in 10 seconds and everything is perfectly fine besides the sleep time.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

I don't see anything wrong when I go into Disk Management. It says everything is healthy.

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Thank you! That fixed it and my PC went to sleep in 15 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.