Ryzen 7 and GSkill Memory Issue, doesn't play together well.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I would like to discuss this with anyone who wishes to offer some insight.

Recently I had an issue with my memory on a new system build. I was wondering if anyone else has seen an issue like this. First the system build as follows.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Extreme
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB
Graphics: XFX Radeon RX VEGA 64 RX-VEGMTBFX6 8GB 2048-Bit HBM2 PCI Express 3.0
Storage: Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 - CT1050MX300SSD4
Power Supply: Seasonic PRIME SERIES SSR-1000GD 1000W
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

The problem was that I had installed 32 GB of memory, but, the system would only recognize 16GB. I Checked under Windows 10 System Information and it showed 32GB(16GB usable). Then I checked in the BIOS and found that it only saw 16GB of System Memory. However, under the memory SPD settings it recognized the as 8GB each with all of the correct SPD settings listed as available. Then I tried removing two DIMMs and now had only 8GB instead of 16GB. Even with only one DIMM at a time it would only recognize half of the memory(4GB). I tried each DIMM separately in each slot and in all of the recommended slot positions that I found in the memory Configurations listed in the manual. No matter how I installed those DIMMs I would only get half of what was installed. I finally decided to just get a 2 X 16GB Adata set that was recommended by the newegg memory picker. The new memory worked fine and the BIOS was finally able to see 32GB.

The next thing I did was to use the GSkill Kit in an Intel build I was working on and they worked just fine. The whole 8GB was available for each slot for a total of 32GB.