Ports randomly closing?

May 16, 2018
I recently bought a new computer.

I have two servers running 24/7, one on port 43594 (a game server which some friends play), and the other on 8090 (Atlassian Confluence server which the same friends visit).

I use NO-IP DNS, which they use the addresses to access the server rather than my direct IP, which can add a layer to potential issues, but it doesn't seem to be the problem. More on that later.

Every so often, one of my friends will message me that the game server is down, but he can still access the Confluence server. This is very strange to me, and has happened twice now with my new computer.

My computer is wired to a Linksys EA6300 router, which is portforwarded for 43594. I have created an exception for 43594 in my firewall. The Confluence server did the port work on my firewall during installation.

This leads me to believe that NO-IP may be the culprit. However, as I said, both servers are accessed through NO-IP. So if one needs to be updated, the other does too - which is most common when my IP changes. When this happened before, I checked to see if my IP had changed and NO-IP needed an update. It hadn't.

What else could possibly be causing only port 43594 to be affected? This didn't happen on my previous computer (although there were periods of lag which I just blamed my ISP for when it happened). The Confluence server has never gone down before.

I've "fixed it" (quotes because I don't know if it fixed itself or what I did actually fixed it) before by restarting the server. The server is a simple Java ServerSocket, so I don't know why this would affect anything.

Any ideas?

The issue clearly resides on the application running on port 43594 or the machine hosting it, NO-IP will make zero difference its just a DNS entry. I would put money on it that if you changed the port number within the application and forward the new port you will experience the same problem!

May 16, 2018
That makes sense, yesterday I discovered it is always fixed by restarting the server. I have run this server for months on the laptop without encountering this issue though, which is why I am so confused, especially since it isn't happening consistently. It only started when I began running it on the new desktop.