Windows 10 Update Boot Loop Stops at Code 32 Gigabyte MOBO

jordan1794

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
My girlfriend's computer recently updated it's windows, and now get's stuck in a boot loop whenever it shuts down.

Oddly, the PC turns on but the CPU fans and pump (water cooler) don't turn on. The MOBO codes flash by until it hits "32", then turns off immediately and reboots. It then just sits in this cycle.

If I remove either of the RAM chips, the PC will then boot fine. After this, I can then shut it down and plug the RAM back in, and boot fine too (with both chips installed). However, if I then shutdown a third time and try to boot, It's back to the 32 boot loop.

I've tested the RAM overnight with Memtest without issue, I've even tried upping the RAM voltage to 1.65 while simultaneously underclocking it. I've also tried underclocking the CPU, disabling turboboost, and setting the CPU to a known-good voltage (I extensively overclocked/tested this PC when I built it 2 years ago).

I feel as if I've ruled out a hardware issue, but I don't know what I can do to fix the problem, as the BIOS seems fine as well. It really seems to be a windows issue, but it's not giving me any errors or BSOD to get a "hunch" to work on.

Any ideas? About to run a sfc. I haven't used the start-up repair yet, but I'm concerned as the start-up repair takes place after a boot, and I fear possible OS corruption if it gets in a boot loop during the process.

Build: (May have to ninja-edit for formatting)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($335.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: LEPA - AquaChanger 240 103.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($68.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($174.48 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($175.59 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.99 @ My Choice Software)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - S241HL bmid 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer - S241HL bmid 24.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech - MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($29.40 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Logitech - Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers ($35.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1771.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-17 16:39 EDT-0400

Solution
Update:
So running the sfc seems to have solved the issue.
In case others have the same problem, take note that you can't run "sfc /scannow" anymore. There is a new command you have to run prior to the "sfc /scannow".

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker :

1. In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
2. Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"). (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to run and complete.)
3. Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

The log...

jordan1794

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Update:
So running the sfc seems to have solved the issue.
In case others have the same problem, take note that you can't run "sfc /scannow" anymore. There is a new command you have to run prior to the "sfc /scannow".

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker :

1. In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
2. Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"). (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to run and complete.)
3. Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

The log file shows a TON of flags on Avast. I'm not sure if this means Avast had an issue, if Avast interfered with the update, or if Avast was interfering with the scan...but the scan found corrupt files and was able to repair them.

Solution