Will a monitor with higher hz make screen tearing worse?

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
I currently have a 60hz display but I'm looking into buying a 240hz display.

When playing CS:GO I always have more than 240fps so I don't have screen tearing on my 60hz monitor.

But will the new 240hz monitor cause screen tearing just because it's close to my fps?

Solution
In most cases, it should be less visible. But you should run for the VSync "FAST" option if possible.

You should run for a monitor with "Black Frame Insertion" or "Backlite Strobing" and a high refresh rate. Motion blur is a worse enemy than screen tearing.
May 17, 2018
No, screen tearing will become less visible with higher framerates and higher refresh rates. (But not if the framerate and the monitor refresh are aligned) If you have an Nvidia card, use VSYNC "Fast" as a general option in the Nvidia driver. Sometimes games will run into issues, but thats a very rare scenario.

Vsync "fast" will prevent screen tearing in all cases, but without the introducion of input lag like Vsync with double or triple buffering does.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
The simple answer to your question is 'no', but that's because they are two independent events.
"the more fps, the less tearing."
Wrong. Without sync, the HIGHER the fps there's MORE tearing, however each tear will make LESS of a difference(, because the picture hasn't changed as much.)

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017

So with the 240hz monitor, there will be no difference in tearing as of now but I will experience 240hz right.

May 17, 2018
In most cases, it should be less visible. But you should run for the VSync "FAST" option if possible.

You should run for a monitor with "Black Frame Insertion" or "Backlite Strobing" and a high refresh rate. Motion blur is a worse enemy than screen tearing.

Solution

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
"there will be no difference in tearing"
Well, no difference in the count of tears per time, but between tears you will have gotten more of the picture shown.
"but I will experience 240hz right."
If your monitor is running at 240Hz that's the most fps that can really be shown, not counting partial frames.