How to dual boot windows 10?

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi,
I just got the 970 evo as my new desktop boot drive and want to use my 2.5" ssd in my old laptop to hopefully make it faster. In order to use it on both systems (and just move it to the laptop when I need it) would I just need to create a partition on the drive with my desktop, put the ssd in the laptop, then use a windows media creation tool to make a new windows install on the new partition? Will I be able to see both partitions on the laptop? The laptop currently has a full HDD, would it be easier to delete everything on it and clone it to the SSD or just fresh install windows on the SSD and keep the HDD in there for when the SSD is in the desktop? I just want windows and gta v (steam) on the laptop SSD, how big of a partition should I make it? Hopefully the drop from 1080 ti to gtx 765m isn't too noticeable.. lol
Thanks!

Solution
You can't move a drive between a desktop and laptop and expect it to work in both.
Windows does not work like that.

Plus, that requires 2 different licenses.

A "dualboot" is 2 different OS's in one system.
Not one drive and OS for two different systems.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't move a drive between a desktop and laptop and expect it to work in both.
Windows does not work like that.

Plus, that requires 2 different licenses.

A "dualboot" is 2 different OS's in one system.
Not one drive and OS for two different systems.

Solution

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

I understand this, I guess this isn't really a dual boot, but more of a partition issue. I have a windows license on my desktop and the laptop has windows pre installed, so shouldn't I be able to just 'reset' windows onto the laptop ssd, and choose a newly made empty partition? I'm not even trying to run two OS's on one SSD, I have my desktop OS on another SSD. I'd just like to be able to choose this SSD to boot from on the laptop bios, take it with me play gta then put it back in my PC and gain access to the SSD's other partition with some steam games on it. I know there's driver issues and such due to the two fairly different specced systems, but shouldn't this not matter if windows is clean installed on the SSD? if the license thing is an issue, could I reset the laptop and then just clone the hdd over to a partition on this SSD?
Thanks.

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

I'm not looking for something like that, rather I want to use an SSD I already own in my laptop. I only rarely need the laptop, so most the time the SSD will be in my desktop, which already has the OS installed on another SSD. I'm wondering how to partition it so part of the drive, say 100-200 gb, is set up for the laptops os and a few games, then the rest of the 1tb remains as storage for my desktop pc. How should I go about doing this? I figure I need to either fresh install windows to the laptop using the media creation tool or, what I'll try first, just wipe the laptop with a reset of windows then clone it to the SSD with the laptops OEM key, just booting into the SSDs partition through the laptops bios every time I install the SSD. This is temporary, I usually don't use this laptop but would like to revive it for a trip.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
I ended up reseting windows on the hdd then I cloned it to the SSD and used the OS partition for the laptop and used the data partition for the desktop. It was actually pretty easy, and really made the laptop a lot more usable... unfortunately the laptop still couldn't run even gta above 10 - 15 fps. So I just bought the EVGA sc15 on sale at evga.com, and I'm enjoying both nvme drives.