Windows 10 won't boot BOOTMGR IS MISSING , BOOTREC /FIXBOOT access denied

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Guys, help me out on this. I think the problem started since I disabled Cortana with changing "her" folder's name. Since then, except the fact I lost search options in start, sometimes my pc stucks on Asrock logo boot screen with a circle loading under it and cannot boot Windows (I only assume it is from Cortana, because I haven't made any other changes since then). Until now, startup repair under advanced options worked for me each time I could'n load Windows and the system booted fine. But now, I have got a message that startup repair cannot repair what it needs to repair. I have read somewhere to try to fix in cmd the boot with bootrec commands fixboot and rebuild*** but access is denied. I tried to boot Windows 10 with installation usb flash, but got a message bootmgr is missing. Any advices?
Update: I was able to boot in Windows 10 installation usb flash drive. What now? Try some sort of repair?

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
I have tried Startup Repair, no success. I have these options left: System Restore (but I think I have no restore points), system image recovery and cmd. I have no system image recovery also. I tried bootrec /rebuildBCD , add installation to boot list Y/N/A I typed Y, but got a message "The requested system device cannot be found".

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
In diskpart, list vol, select vol 0, list partition - the star is set at partition 4 Primary; I have Partition 1 Recovery, Partition 2System, Partition 3 Reserved, Partition 4 Primary, Partition 5 Primary

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Here are the pictures https://imgur.com/a/o7i25Ek
I see two stars - on disk 0 and 1. Shouldn't be just on one disk, presumably disk 0, and the reason why it is not booting is because it has a conflict between these two? There is no star on Volume 0 "C" where should be windows, there is no star on whichever volume, btw.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

It didn't work. In list disk I see that Disk 0 and Disk 1 are marked with stars. Under list partition in Disk 0 there are no stars. I felt this time it would work. Probably I am not doing something right. But I got the message that boot files successfully created when typing bcdboot c:\windows /s g: After this command, I typed exit and restarted the PC. Then it asked me to do a startup repair, but no luck.

Why do you think, it didn't work?

Those stars in disk list just mean, that drives are partitioned in GPT. Partition list doesn't have to have any stars.

Can you show screenshot from BIOS - boot sequence settings?
Your system has to be configured to boot into UEFI. If you have disabled UEFI boot, then your system will not boot.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

I will take some photos of the boot menu. https://imgur.com/a/w2qsoRO

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
By the way, thank you for the efforts, the will to help and the time spent for resolving this issue. By looking your rang and completed challenges, I have big hopes for a positive outcome.

Leave only Windows Boot manager option, disable second boot option.
Reboot the system.
If windows still doesn't boot, then boot from windows installation media and perform these steps
(to format bootloader partition and recreate bootloader):
  • diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    list partition
    select partition 2
    (make sure you have selected the right disk and right partition before executing the next command - 99MB system partition)
    format fs=fat32 quick override
    assign letter=g
    exit
    bcdboot c:\windows /s g: /f uefi

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Just to make sure before any actions, format fs=fat32 will format just the system partition which is 99mb, not the entire HDD/SSD, right? There is a reason you marked it in red.
I tried with disabling the second boot option - didn't fix it. I will try the commands you have given.
Nope, it didn't work. I did exactly the same you told me. Got the blue screen error once again, then restarted and haven't passed the Asrock logo screen.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
Maybe this one here http://woshub.com/how-to-repair-uefi-bootloader-in-windows-8/
Earlier, before your advice, I have entered the command ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and the other ones from this site https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508, but probably it doesn't matter, because I have formatted the system partition. Could it be something missing from the Windows 10, installed on the USB (the f in bcdboot c:\windows /s g: /f uefi stands for the USB) - I installed it with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, but it works and makes a bootable iso, because that's the way I installed the same Windows which is running on my system. Microsoft_Windows_10_Enterprise_Version_1709_X64

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017

No errors while typing those commands. I have only one installation of Windows 10 on my PC. I have 500gb SSD, devided by two - C: and D: . The Windows is on C:

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
When I entered Recovery Enivronment on startup, I got another blue screen error: " The boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system. File:\BCD Error code 0xc0000098 You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media, contact your pc administrator or pc/device manufacturer."

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
What if I try this:
X:\windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10240

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-3A416N9

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
——– ————- ——- ——- — —
Disk 0 Online 489 GB 0 B *

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
————- —————- ——- ——-
Partition 1 Primary 489 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART> sel part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> shrink desired=1024

DiskPart successfully shrunk the volume by: 1024 MB

DISKPART> create partition efi size=260

DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition.

DISKPART> format quick fs=fat32

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart…

X:\windows\system32>bcdboot c:\windows
Boot files successfully created.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Have you tried swapping the OS drive to a different SATA port??

I only use Win7, but twice I have had Win updates damage the SATA port settings on the SATA port the OS disk was using; NOTHING I could do would get the disk to work, including Win and Linux LiveBoot disks, but as soon as I swapped ports, everything sprang back into life.

The SATA port WAS NOT FAULTY, however I had already thrown away the first motherboard before I figured this out.

The second time it happened, I swapped ports, then used Aomei Partition Assistant to "repair" the drive I had swapped to the "duff" port.

Sadly, I cannot remember exactly WHICH repair worked, but as long as you can get the PC to boot, you have the luxury of time to figure it out.

clubman

Commendable
Dec 1, 2017
It didn't help, I tried. Will re-installing windows on my C delete my files, or will it just copy the missing/ fix the broken ones (I don't want to format)? Because I am starting to back down on this and have no backup or a way to transfer my files from the SSD, have no device for it.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Depending on how you do it, re-installing will delete
1/ everything
2/ the OS only

However that will mean any programs will need to be reinstalled, as their registry entries will also be deleted.

Anything in the "My" folders (My Music etc), may also be lost.

There is a repair option on the Win install disks, but I have never known it to work; you could give it a try (nothing ventured, nothing gained).

You could also try a live disk - via a CD or USB drive; of either Windows or Linux, and see if you can repair the MBR that way (or just change the Cortana folder name back).

There are reasons a lot of us still refuse to use Win10.