Pixelated video content

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
I'm rocking the MG279Q with a DP cable, when working on Photoshop everything is fine, no problems but when I load a Youtube video, content looks grainy and pixelated in various parts in the video. My 4k TV looks incredibly flawless, sharp and vibrant, so I don't know what is going on with this monitor.

Playing with 'sharpness' or 'vividpixel' do absolutely nothing. I reverted back to reset all the settings on the monitor and the problem remains. Is there a setting I'm overlooking?

This is something that started happening recently and it's driving me crazy.

Solution
It could be that your 4k screen was actually applying cleaning filters to the video, and the original video looks that bad on a monitor. 4k TVs especially, as there is still so much SD content and low quality HD content, that in order for moderate quality video to look like it isn't being degraded by the 4k, it goes through a lot of pixel polishing and frame interpolation.

You mention your 4k screen is a TV, and TVs have image filtering on, unless you go out of your way to turn it off. PC monitors often times don't even include the ability.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
No. Nothing like that. The max quality for that video is a 1080, I don't expect a super sharp playback. But it's grainy on my end, I don't expect you to see the flaws on your monitor since you're not on mine. But it's basically pixelated on certain spots. Sometimes it covers the entire clip. I noticed this on various clips as well. I don't understand why it looks that way.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017

Well, that was a little tricky since they tend to look much better through my cell lens.

One | Two | Three | Four

Tried a close up on the last one. At first the thought cross my mind that maybe it was the high refresh of 144Hz, but changing it 60Hz did nothing. Same outcome.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
It's not that shitty in most videos and just assume that's just a crappy output clip. It's just nerve wrecking that it's perfectly flawless in a 4K and falling apart on a 1440p IPS panel. I was seriously wondering if there was just something really wrong with my monitor.

It could be that your 4k screen was actually applying cleaning filters to the video, and the original video looks that bad on a monitor. 4k TVs especially, as there is still so much SD content and low quality HD content, that in order for moderate quality video to look like it isn't being degraded by the 4k, it goes through a lot of pixel polishing and frame interpolation.

You mention your 4k screen is a TV, and TVs have image filtering on, unless you go out of your way to turn it off. PC monitors often times don't even include the ability.

Solution

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
That could be it. I was only looking at it from a resolution standpoint. I tried connecting my console on it and it looks flawless. I was concerned this was all motion content. I'll just assumed that clip is just horribly output and pay it no mind. My content looks fine as well and I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the assistance.