IS THIS microSDXC CARD LEGIT?

happyjuggs

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
I purchased this suspiciously cheap 128gb micro SDXC card from amazon. Something that caught my attention is that the card was formatted to FAT32 out of the box. Is this typical for a microSDXC to be formatted out of the box like this?

Should I trust using this card for storage or just return it and pay for a branded one?

Amazon:

AbaDisk 128GB Micro SD Card High Speed Class 10 Micro SD SDXC Card with Adapter (128GB)

Jai Molloy

Honorable
Jan 12, 2015
You should not use that card for anything more than storing your receipts for toilet paper.

At 11USD it probably is not 128GB and is almost certain to fail prematurely, oh and slow AF.

Electronics is one of those things where you get exactly what you pay for when you shop on the low end.

Buy a new one. I bought a disk rated as UHS1 U3 A1 V30. Not cheap, but fast.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-128GB-microSDXC-UHS-I/dp/B06XX3X9JD

Amazon knowingly sells tons of these counterfeit cards. I badgered them for weeks to remove some, and they never were bothered to do so. Oh well, refund it if you can prove it using that RMUsb tool or w/e it's called, and demand they stop allowing the sale of counterfeits.

I suspect it's just a 16GB or so cycling memory chip with an edited firmware to tell your system it's 128GB. I bought a cheap USB off of ebay that used similar tactics. Admittedly I knew full well it was fake ($5/64GB), but I needed a cheapo and I knew paypal would force a refund on it, so I got it for free. Hurts their bottom line to boot, so ++.

Jai Molloy

Honorable
Jan 12, 2015

I think this particular card is not counterfeit, more like it is a fraudulent one. You are right though, they should do something about these cards that cannot reasonably be expected to work. Unfortunately people pay Amazon to sell on their site, so the likelihood that they will remove people from their easy profit center.

Counterfeit, fraudulent. The point is it's misrepresented - and often they are sold as legitimate brand names. True, amazon won't, but they do have obligations to the consumer, so it's important to raise hell when that goes wrong. Chargebacks are great too - merchants often have to pay an additional penalty on top of the amount due for refund if they are found to have been in arrears.

happyjuggs

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Amazon accepted my return and I explained how the card was fake counterfeit because it's read/write speed was awful when I tested it. I don't know if I believe them but they said that they will escalate the problem and investigate the seller. It's obvious they have botted positive reviews when all the real reviews are negative. Thanks for the insight guys

TRENDING THREADS