help picking monitor for gaming

Darren35

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
card 1080ti . I have been using a lg4k 50 inch tv for gaming i think the response time would be about round 40ms ,60hz , I can get 4k ultra settings 70fps although the tv can only do 60hz , well I am looking to get another monitor for just my gaming needs ,gaming monitors seem to be overpriced when compared to tv monitors and you don't really get them big screens , so this is a question for gamers what should I invest in gaming monitor or another TV ?

Solution
Don't take Horizon 3 as your benchmark for performance since it is, despite the multiple patches that have been applied to it, a very unoptimized game. The thing is, when you consider the size of the monitor compared to your current TV, 2k is more than enough since pixel size will be much smaller, and you will be sitting closer to it. Also because of the resolution, you will be able to get over 100 fps on practically any game. I got to ask, what is your approximate budget for the monitor?

chris260999

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Are you aiming to get a higher framerate at a lower resolution or just get a better response time and input lag number? Yes, you would have to reduce screen size quite a bit, but if you're having issues with responsiveness, I would suggest going for the monitor. I'm no expert in the topic so i'm sure someone here can help you pick a good one.

Darren35

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015

never really thought about it until now only ever played on tv monitors so I guess responsiveness would be slower using a tv , I don't have a problem with it but I said that about hd and 4k until I got a 4k tv and then it looks better, I know with multiplayer games its good to have higher fps and I do play most of my gaming online in multiplayer - driving or shooting games mostly , I do like the look of 4k and it would be hard to go back to HD but I think I could live with 2k as well , even with the 1080ti running in 2k its was about 87fps on medium with forza horizon 3 .

chris260999

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Don't take Horizon 3 as your benchmark for performance since it is, despite the multiple patches that have been applied to it, a very unoptimized game. The thing is, when you consider the size of the monitor compared to your current TV, 2k is more than enough since pixel size will be much smaller, and you will be sitting closer to it. Also because of the resolution, you will be able to get over 100 fps on practically any game. I got to ask, what is your approximate budget for the monitor?

Solution