Microphone stopped working after Windows 10 update

May 21, 2018
Hello.

So, after the recent Windows 10 update, I've had a world of problems, mainly with my mic. Wednesday night I shut down my PC to update Windows and everything was fine. Nothing seemed wrong. I booted my PC the next day and my headphones were no longer working from the front green and pink jacks. A few months back I had to buy a new headset and at the same time my back pink/mic jack stopped working, so I started using the front ones and have been since.I rarely every unplugged my headphones. The front jacks have always been wonky and it's difficult to unplug stuff from it. But after the Windows update, neither the audio nor the mic ones worked. I tried the back - mic/pink still won't work. PC won't even register there's a mic plugged in, however the green/audio works fine. So I bought a USB audio adapter to use. It came Saturday and I hooked everything up and...more problems. It registers there's a mic plugged in but won't pick anything up. Won't work on Discord. The green bars only show when I unmute (my headset is mutable by pushing the microphone up), or when I flick the mic itself. Almost like it picks up the mic sounds but not my voice. I have tried everything. I tried that Privacy setting fix, but that wasn't the issue, that was still enabled. I have the AGC checkbox checked. I have the Levels at 100 and unmuted. I have the USB mic enabled and everything else disabled. For the life of me I can't figure out what's the problem. It's not my headphones - those work fine on my phone. I kinda doubt it's the USB, it seems to work fine other than this whole mic issue I'm having. I can't test the pink/green cord on anything (I disconnect my headset from that cord to use a single on my phone), as I don't have another PC to do so, but I don't think it's that either. I have genuinely tried everything me as well as my friend can think of but no dice. I find it rather strange this issue came up after the Windows update though.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
had the same issue with windows 10 April update nothing but rolling back the update solved the issue....

only fix

Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

then select "go back to previous windows build"

took my system about 10 min and two reboots to undo the update and back to working

its something wrong with the windows 10 April update
had the same issue with windows 10 April update nothing but rolling back the update solved the issue....

only fix

Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery

then select "go back to previous windows build"

took my system about 10 min and two reboots to undo the update and back to working

its something wrong with the windows 10 April update

Solution
May 21, 2018

This worked, thank you so much. Now I just gotta avoid updating Windows somehow (I'm not sure if there's a way to keep Windows 10 from updating), but the jacks on the front of my PC work again and my mic does as well! Thank you so much!

TRENDING THREADS