Microsoft Store and all apps won't open/don't exist

Jacob_28405

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
This started out as the programs opening and then immediately closing. The programs I tried were the Store and Xbox apps. After doing some troubleshooting and possible solutions found on google, it now seems that both of those apps are no longer installed on my computer. I've tried various commands using an elevated command prompt and powershell.

My most recent errors are as follows whenever I try to use the powershell to add the apps:
Code:
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.
error 0x80070005: Opening file from location: AppXManifest.xml failed with error: Access is denied.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 2bb4cda5-f1d5-0005-09dc-b42bd5f1d301 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 2bb4cda5-f1d5-0005-09dc-b42bd5f1d301
At line:1 char:61
+ ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityE
   xception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

and

Code:
Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppxManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Other solutions suggest creating a new windows account and copying files over then using that as primary. However I am still unable to locate the windows store on the new account.

Not quite sure where to go from here, any help would be great.

Solution
I tried the update troubleshooter and the store troubleshooter, both of which didn't solve the problem.
Yes I was using an admin version of powershell.
I was on the most recent build of Win10. It had just updated the night prior.

I ended up having to do a clean install of Win 10 in order to fix it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
0x80070005 is a windows update error, have you tried running the windows update troubelshooter?

I assume you are using an admin account, and the Admin version of powershell?

What version of win 10 are you on? Current is 1803 build 17134.48
if you not sure, right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

if you on the latest build, try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Jacob_28405

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I tried the update troubleshooter and the store troubleshooter, both of which didn't solve the problem.
Yes I was using an admin version of powershell.
I was on the most recent build of Win10. It had just updated the night prior.

I ended up having to do a clean install of Win 10 in order to fix it.

Solution