April 2018 Update, Windows 10 OS Isn't Recognized

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I usually don't do Windows Update and I haven't for awhile. Cut back to last Friday and I instantly remind myself why. I let the PC update while restarting over night. Come back and it doesn't recognize my OS. It has me select a key board and a different OS with the option to rollback. None of it works accurately. Once I am able to bypass the login screen it shows me with a black background, Recycle Bin, and no programs can load. I have access to my files and my browser via command prompt, but the taskbar is unclickable. Start menu, search; can't use them.

I've gone online through 4 or 5 websites and used all of their helpful tips. I've successfully restored my Desktop folder, I've done src /r scan in command prompt (it comes back with 0 issues), I'm unable to add a 2nd User since it keeps giving me an error, and I've checked in the task manager to see if there's anything conflicting. There's nothing running.

My PC has no other issues that I can immediately see, my OS just doesn't load up. If I turn it off, I have the option to choose: Windows Rollback, Windows 10 Version 7, or Windows 10 Version 7 (again). Rollback takes me back to the same screen. Either Windows 10 option takes me to where I'm at now on my PC. My Windows Restore save options do not show up (I know I have 2 from last year), and the Repair Option at the beginning doesn't repair it.

I've exhausted all my options that I can do via logging on. Anyone know if there's anything I've missed? Thank you for reading.

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

Avast free version and I believe Microsoft Security Essentials was still enabled. I checked that post, I'm unable to do the first two methods. Action Center doesn't bring up anything and I can't get to the PC settings. The 3rd method I've just attempted via Registery. The value was already set at 0.

stdragon

Admirable

Agreed.

Salvage your data, then nuke and pave the drive with a fresh Windows install.

Imnotwaynebrady

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
From the "How to do a Clean Installation of Windows 10", I can't get the Windows 10 media creation tool to run anymore. Initially I clicked it to follow the prompt, I shutdown my PC to look at my BIOs and unhook my other internal hard drives. I log back in, I click to Download the Windows Installation Tool one more time and the program doesn't run at all. It comes up with the User Control Prompt alerting me that this program is about to make changes. But then nothing.

Is there another way for me to get this to run? I've clicked directly from my downloads folder and same thing. The program ran the very first time but ever since then nothing runs up after the User Control Prompt.

I am so frustrated. I just want my PC to work again.