Set My Win OS To a Different Drive

Feb 14, 2018
Recently I was considering on buying a new PC since mine is really old. The only issue is all my files on this computer. I currently have 2 HDD, one with Windows 10 and the other for random programs and files. I have quite a bit of programs installed on my C: drive and I don't want to mess anything up if I move them to my new PC.
The new PC I was going to buy would come with Windows 10 and an SSD. I want to know if I can set that SSD as D: drive, or something other than C:, and set my old HDD as C: so I don't mess up any of my shortcuts, then later copy over things like my documents and desktop to the SSD, so when I run my desktop shortcuts it still launches the program from the old HDD.
It might be complicated but I really don't want to go through the time of finding all the programs installed on my current C: drive.

Both PCs would be 64 Windows 10.

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
While you may not want to, you will have to reinstall your programs.

You want a lean mean machine. You want to take advantage of the SSD for booting your PC.

You want all the proper drivers, and no leftover un-needed possibly causing issues drivers.

That is the best practice.

That said, some people have success just putting in an old HD with the OS and windows finds all the needed drivers. Sometimes issues pop up immediately, sometimes later down the road.
While you may not want to, you will have to reinstall your programs.

You want a lean mean machine. You want to take advantage of the SSD for booting your PC.

You want all the proper drivers, and no leftover un-needed possibly causing issues drivers.

That is the best practice.

That said, some people have success just putting in an old HD with the OS and windows finds all the needed drivers. Sometimes issues pop up immediately, sometimes later down the road.

Solution