Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87

bebodragon

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
Just Wanted To Ask About A Motherboard I Am Going To Buy , I Already Got The i7-4790k and got hyper 212 plus
Now I Am Looking For The Board , So What Do You Think About ( Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ) ?
Is It A Good One Or It Is Too Outdated , Would It Be Better To Wait Until I Find A Z97 Gaming ?

Looking Forward To Your Reply , Thx Again

Find Z97 if you can - if for nothing else, then because of M.2 + NVMe support (some models even support full PCI-e 3.0 x4 speeds over M.2).

Like this one:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/

In short, you will likely want to upgrade to M.2 NVMe SSD in the future, and being limited to SATA is actually no big deal, but when you are already buying, buy something not too old :)

EDIT: Almost forgot - if you buy Z87, make sure it is already updated to the latest BIOS. If it is not, you might find out the hard way that it doesn't work with 4790k, and then either swap the board or temporarily borrow a supported CPU just to flash BIOS. Better to avoid if possible. Z97s work with 4790k out of the box.

bebodragon

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

Thx A Lot Man , Then I Will Wait For A Z97 , I Just Want A Gaming One Since It Has High Quality Sound Card & Lan And Higher Ram Clock

Do You Think It Isn't A Big Deal If It Isn't A Gaming One ?

"gaming" is a marketing term.
The only legitimate use might be to indicate sli capability.(which I do not recommend)

I once had a Gigabyte g.1 sniper M-ATX and it was OK.

From a performance point of view, Z87/Z97 will not be detectably different.
ssd performance will not be different either.
pcie ssd will have better sequential transfer rates, but in actual use you will only notice an occasional difference, like in antivirus scans.

Sound is perhaps another issue if you are picky about sound.
You have the option of buying a discrete sound card.
I would try whatever you get with onboard sound first.

What is your case?
You will want to OC the 4790K.
For that, you need to be able to feed the cooler with a good supply of fresh air.

bebodragon

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015
i7-4790k
250gb 850 ssd pro
2tb wd black
Msi Gtx 1070 gaming x
16gb ddr3 1866mhz
Corsair TX 650w
Thermaltake commander ms2

Right now , someone offered me ga-z97-d3h , is it good ?

This is the exactly the same board I own, with 4790k as well. Very pleased. There is only 1 thing I would like on it, and that is ultra.m2 support for m.2 drives, but it is no big deal. Board is a good overclocker, and has been serving me without a single issue since 2014. At least so far.

bebodragon

Reputable
Nov 5, 2015

I Upgraded To This Build
+ Are The New Things

+ Intel i7-4790k ( i5-4460 )
+ Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ( Acer H81 )
- 16GB DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1866mhz
- 2TB WD Black
- 250GB Samsung SSD 850 Pro
- MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
- Corsair TX650 (650 Watt)
+ Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus ( Intel Stock )
+ Cougar Evolution Full Tower ( Thermaltake Commander MSII )

Thx A Lot For Your Advices Guys , It Is Working Very Well