Windows 10 components across 2 disks?

May 25, 2018
Hi,this is my first time posting here. I hope this is the right place.

I recently reinstalled Windows to my new SSD, with my HDD plugged in, After that, when I look at Computer Management (see attached image), the EFI, WINRETOOLS, and Image partition are still on my HDD. Now, the computer is booting and working ok, but my main concerns are:

1. If the HDD fails before the SSD at some point in the future, Windows won't be able to boot.

2. If I were to do a system image backup of my C drive, the backup won't be complete nor usable because there are Windows components on another disk.

Are those 2 concerns worth worrying about? Would you recommend reinstalling Windows, or are there easier ways to move/ create those partitions on my SSD? Thank you in advance.

Capture.PNG.fb362e6eace4070defad4590c91890bd.PNG

Solution
well 1 is a big pain if you also decide to replace hdd later on

If you haven't installed a great deal I would reinstall win 10 on the ssd without hdd in PC as then it won't repeat this action
If there is data on the ssd you want to save, put it on drive 1 for now since D drive won't be in PC when you reinstall.

You might want to run diskpart at a later time and remove the spare efi on the hdd

there are ways to create an EFI but its safer and easier to just fresh install

@robert1600 that won't work as windows boots off the active or system partition and its on drive 1 (the hdd)

Colif

Win 11 Master
well 1 is a big pain if you also decide to replace hdd later on

If you haven't installed a great deal I would reinstall win 10 on the ssd without hdd in PC as then it won't repeat this action
If there is data on the ssd you want to save, put it on drive 1 for now since D drive won't be in PC when you reinstall.

You might want to run diskpart at a later time and remove the spare efi on the hdd

there are ways to create an EFI but its safer and easier to just fresh install

@robert1600 that won't work as windows boots off the active or system partition and its on drive 1 (the hdd)

Solution
May 25, 2018
Thanks for all of your answers so far. I tried to boot my computer today with the HDD unplugged, and unfortunately it didn't work. As you mentioned, there are ways to create an EFI. Could you please link me to one that you find reliable? I'd like to try that first before reinstalling Windows.

Colif

Win 11 Master
- Boot the computer using the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation media.
- On the first screen, press SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
- Run the following commands at the command prompt.

diskpart
list disk
select disk # Note: Select the disk where you want to add the EFI System partition.
list partition
select partition # Note: Select the Windows OS partition (# number) or your data partition.
shrink desired=100
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32
assign letter=s
list partition
list volume Note the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed.
exit

bcdboot X:\windows /s S:
Note: Replace "X" with the volume letter of the Windows OS partition.

BCDBoot copies the boot files from the Windows partition to the EFI System partition and creates the BCD store in the same partition.

Remove the Windows installation media and restart the computer into your BIOS settings and set the SSD as the First Boot Device.

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/52837-moving-recreating-efi-partition.html

TRENDING THREADS