Looking for viable sound card

May 27, 2018
So I'm getting ready to begin my new PC build (my second), which I have already selected everything except peripherals. I'm trying to choose a sound card. I'm new to the audio side of things, and I am definitely no audiophile, but I would like to experience the best sound that I can for a decent price this time around.

Sound wise, I would like to use a surround sound speaker set for fun gaming, and a headset for more serious sessions. (I'm not worried about movies or music, just gaming.)

The motherboard I have chosen is the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero to pair with the i7-8700k.

The Speaker set I have chosen (unless someone knows of something better for the same price or less) is the Logitech z906 5.1 ch speakers.

As for the headset I was looking at the Sennheiser Game One, (NOT the Game Zero) headset, which I guess is a 2 ch stereo headset. I've heard the virtual 5.1/7.1 surround sound is more gimmicky than anything. I would like real, raw sound.

I know nothing about audio, so the question is, what sound card(s) is most viable for me that will work for both, if that's even possible? I was looking at the Sound Blaster Zx

(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102049&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=)

However I started to see bad reviews about it. I'd like to stay at or less the price of that one.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

ohenryy

Honorable

Actually I had a pretty good motherboard and I got a HDX Red Devil sound card, and I was blown away with how much more details you hear, specially if you have a good sound system.

the ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero has a very good sound setup already built in but if you are dead set on getting a new card, then this is the one to go for:

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X AE-5. The reviews on this sound card are very good...

Hope this helps..

The main contenders these days:

ASUS Xonar DGX: The cheapest option, only about $20 or so. A decent step up over onboard, with a headphone amp to boot.
Creative Soundblaster Z: The price/performance option. While other cards in Creatives lineup are better, you start splitting hairs over quality.
ASUS STX Essence II: Top of the line audio quality. Costs an arm and a leg though.