How can I change what GPU the external monitor is connected to in a laptop?

May 19, 2018
Hi all,
currently I am using a laptop with an iGPU and a dedicated GPU. I have set it so that the dedicated GPU (an nvidia Quadro K3000M) fires up when using certain programs. However, I've noticed that under Settings>Display>Advanced display settings, the external monitor is connected to the iGPU (an intel HD Graphics 4000). I don't know how to change that, and I'd like to, if possible.
Any ideas how? Thank you very much.

Solution
Why would you change to your Dedicated GPU for Displaying Everything? The iGPU handles everyday activites like streaming videos, Browsing the web and the OS. When you do heavy tasks like Gaming (rendering in general) the GPU changes to high performance Nvidia GPU even while using External Monitor you just need configure the programs that should run on the Dedi GPU. If you use the Dedi GPU all the time then the power consumption will be Much higher (x3 or even x5) and the lifetime of the Dedi card and the Battery will decrease as the usage and load increase

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
Why would you change to your Dedicated GPU for Displaying Everything? The iGPU handles everyday activites like streaming videos, Browsing the web and the OS. When you do heavy tasks like Gaming (rendering in general) the GPU changes to high performance Nvidia GPU even while using External Monitor you just need configure the programs that should run on the Dedi GPU. If you use the Dedi GPU all the time then the power consumption will be Much higher (x3 or even x5) and the lifetime of the Dedi card and the Battery will decrease as the usage and load increase

Solution

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
If you still insist to change to dedi GPU then you can just disable the integrated GPU from Display adapters in Device manager once that's done, enter BIOS and Under "Integrated Devices" Disable the Integrated GPU.

Dude what are you even talking about? He just said:

I have set it so that the dedicated GPU (an nvidia Quadro K3000M) fires up when using certain programs.

Seyed22Shaheen

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
the external monitor is connected to the iGPU (an intel HD Graphics 4000). I don't know how to change that, and I'd like to, if possible.
I just asked him why would he do that LMAO. Now i feel like that wasn't neccessary :/