Dell Optiplex 980 MT graphic card options to free up PCIe x4 and x16 slots

May 28, 2018
I am exploring options to upgrade my Dell Optiplex 980 MT to free up the PCIe x4 and x16 slots. I have one setup as a pfSense firewall and would like an additional NICs installed. A second unit is setup as a file server, and I would like an LSI HBA with external SAS/SATA ports installed. I need to free up a PCIe slot for an additional adapter in each. One is already used (for non-video) with both.

I purchased a knock-off PCI VGA cards (not PCIe), but there was no video output. I am uncertain if this is an issue with the cards (they were cheap) or with the Dell Optiplex 980 MT. I have read indications that these will not output video with PCI cards. However, the BIOS option for video seems to indicate it can. It didn't work with the cheap brand. Thoughts?

Another possibility I am exploring is installing a PCIe x1 video card in the PCIe x1 slot which is indicated by Dell for use with a WiFi adapter. Issues might include: does the PCIe x1 WiFi slot work for video? Is the Dell supplied power supply sufficient to power the video card (and other gear installed)? Does the length of the card fit in the space permitted? Can the video adapter/cables be extended out. Some video cards I found are:

- NVIDIA NVS 300 by PNY 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Gen 2 x1
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Profesional-Business-Graphics-VCNVS300X1-PB/dp/B004FEJX3C

- ATI FireMV 2260 Graphics Card ATi FireMV 2260 - 256MB DDR2 SDRAM - PCI Express x1
https://www.amazon.com/ATI-FireMV-2260-Graphics-Card/dp/B007W80IDW

- VisionTek Radeon 4350 SFF DMS59 512MB DDR2 PCIe x1
https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-DMS59-512MB-Graphics/dp/B0038LWTUW

- ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3 PCIE x 1
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphic-ZT-71304-20L/dp/B01E9Z2D60

Any thoughts on the first (PCI video) or second (PCIe x1) options?

I have read other discussions on Tom's Hardware regarding similar issues, but not this issue specifically.

In the Dell manual it says computers shipped with i5,i7 Quad core CPUs don't have onboard video. I take that to mean that i3/i5 2 core systems do. . Possible solution. IDK if this is a different MB or just CPU feature. You might ask at Dell Community Forums.
Did you try creating a System Restore point, and removing the old GPU drivers in Safe Mode? Then install the new GPU in Safe Mode+ Internet and add drivers.
There are PCIe x1 extender cables. You're probably the only one doing this so you may have to fcreate. your own solution

May 28, 2018
A unique solutions, thanks for the idea.

As you reasoned, the system has an i7 quad-core HT CPU. The possibility of downgrading the CPU, while presumably solving the problem, would significantly cut down on the number of useful cores if it meant dual-core (even with HT). I'd be loathe to downgrade the machines but will consider it.

The machines aren't running Windows. The first box with pfSense is actually running ESXi 6.5 with pfSense virtualized (it makes running Suricata in IPS mode easier). The second box is currently running FreeNAS (unvirtualized at the moment, may change). Video drivers are not an issue.

Good idea to use a PCIe extender cable. I am not sure, but it is quite possible the PCIe x1 slot is blocked by the an internal HDD bay, which I use. It may also make running the video cables easier.

Wonder now if ESXi supports USB connected video? Will ask around.

Thanks for the ideas!

Have you looked into something like a Dell T3500/ T5500 workstation?
T3500 can be found under $100. Best deals are usually a local recycler to avoid shipping. A single CPU T5500 has 4x full length PCIe slots. 2-x16 GPU slots, and 2-x8 slots plus a couple PCI also. The T3500 has 2 GPU slots and 2-x8 size wired as x4. The reason I mentioned single CPU is dual CPU is an option also.

May 28, 2018
I have looked at a number of alternatives, yes. I did see a Dell Precision machine at a recycler. I have my eye on various (refurbished or possibly new) Supermicro servers, which depending on the model and whether new, can be quite expensive.

The Dell Optiplex 980 has a very limited life expectancy for my use. Indeed, I don't believe ESXi still supports the i7 CPU in these machines anymore as of v6.7 (unconfirmed). And, pfSense is informing its users that an upcoming release will require AES-NI encryption, which these CPUs lack. I am unclear what feature(s) of the CPU ESXi requires for v6.7, it may be AES-NI?

That said, if I could upgrade the existing machines cheap(er), I could delay a purchase. I am weighing my options at this point. There is also the gf to reason with... sneaking a few components into an existing box is one thing. A super loud Supermicro server (or two) is quite another.

Thanks!

I'm afraid I'm just a hardware geek and don't understand the apps and OS your using. But I see the that if you need a newer platform then LGA1366 wouldn't be suitable. But from a bandwidth perspective it's much better than LGA1156.