Bios trouble or I don't know enough trouble

teatreepanda

Prominent
May 28, 2018
I am building a new el cheapo gaming machine.
Motherboard is MSI B350M Pro-VD Plus.
CPU is Ryzen 3 2200G
Memory - 2x4gig of DDR4-2400
Sata6 ssd (not here yet)
Seagate Barracuda 1tb hd
Power - Rosewill Valens 600 watt
Operating system - Win 10 Home 64 bit (when possible)
possible additional operating system - Sparky LInux

So on the Newegg website and MSI website it said Ryzen Ryzen Ryzen everywhere for this board and many others. Now I am finding out that the board may need a Bios flash to identify my particular Ryzen. I put things together on the workbench and the Bios does not show. Blank monitor, no post or anything. I have a USB keyboard but didn't plug it in yet.

If the Bios showed itself on screen I would fully assemble and then do the maintenance. The CPU fan spins and the CPU "error light" shines brightly.
Time limits and costs to send things back.

Is there an “AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 Ready” sticker on the front of your motherboard box?

AMD%20Raven%20Ridge%20compatibility.jpg

teatreepanda

Prominent
May 28, 2018
No. That sticker came with the processor. I didn't see that terminology until I opened the processor box. Now I know my board is not "ready".

I want to make it ready and have requested a boot kit from AMD. Hope to hear soon. Alternatively I have an RMA from Newegg.

AsRock has a 2000 ready board. Are they as good as an MSI board? This MSI board is military class 4, plus cheaper and in my hands.

Military Class 4 is just a marketing term MSI uses, it's no better or worse than an ASRock motherboard. Just choose which board you like based on the features you prefer and price.