Bios Reset reverted me to windows 8

MattCush

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I ended up moving a RAM to a different slot to get dual channel mode after realizing I had it in single channel mode for years and I kept getting error code 55 on my mobo after I moved it. I decided to do some research and was told to remove my CMOS battery to reset the bios. This ended up working and got me into post but I didn't realize the consequence was that it would revert me back years. I now am running windows 8 instead of 10.

Thing is, when I upgraded to 10, I had purchased an SSD and put it on there and made that my C drive. Now that drive is my G drive and my regular HDD is my C drive. I'm assuming windows 10 is still installed on it. I also now have a System Reserved E drive that is 3/4 full with nothing in it when I open it. I'm assuming this might be my windows 10 partition? I have no idea.

Some help would be really great. I would love to get my windows 10 back up and running with my SSD as my C drive again. I'm hoping this didn't royally screw me over. I am willing to make a fresh windows 10 installation if necessary while moving all important files onto an external HDD as I really need to clean up my drives anyway however I don't know how to reinstall windows 10 without purchasing it again.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
The boot device probably got changed after resetting your BIOS. Go back and change the boot order so that your Windows 10 drive is the boot device. Use Volume labels to identify your drives... very helpful in cases like this.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
The boot device probably got changed after resetting your BIOS. Go back and change the boot order so that your Windows 10 drive is the boot device. Use Volume labels to identify your drives... very helpful in cases like this.

Solution

MattCush

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Thanks for that, it worked. I once tried deleting the HDD that has windows 8 on it but it wouldn't let me because it had necessary files I'm assuming that were for windows 8. I'm guessing I went about this wrong. Is there a way to delete windows 8 from it? Also, I'll look into volume labels. I thought volume labels were the letter next to the drive? I had labeled them before and they are back to how they were once I booted up with the SSD instead of the HDD, they just appeared different when I was booted with my HDD.