Win10 resolution changes with second monitor

Eegore

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
When I plug in any external monitor, or projector both screens go black and reset repeatedly. I have Win 10, Nvidia 1050ti in a new Dell Inspiron 7000. I intended to use a Dell P2414H monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution, same as the laptop.

I have checked and re-installed the drivers from Nvidia however the problem persists. Any monitor this plugs into will flicker and attempt to run in 1024x768, and if I change to that resolution the screens still continue to flicker.

Any ideas?

Solution
Has something change recently in Windows in this area? I've just tried connecting a laptop to a BENQ data projector (that I've used many times before) and it reported "RGB out of range". I found this display settings area and it was saying 1028x768 as the desktop resolution but the active signal resolution was 1920x1080. I assume this was why the data projector was not displaying the image. I messed around the Intel display properties and now the desktop resolution matches the active signal resolution and it works fine.

https://i.imgur.com/okJoyNs.png

I've never had to mess around like this before so I suspect something has changed in Windows via an update since I last used this data projector.

Eegore

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

They are both at 60 Hz, the Dell monitor is anyway the projectors I cant say for sure. For some reason any monitor connected to the laptop want to change to 1024x768 and will reset every few seconds now.

I notice that when I change my desktop resolution lower that the Active Signal resolution stays at 1920x1080, which incidentally is supposed to be my monitors native resolution.

Also when looking at Advanced Display Properties the laptop is connected to Intel HD graphics and the second Dell monitor is connected to the Nvidia 1050ti. Not sure if this is normal.

Eegore

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Update: I tried making the Nvidia card the "Preferred Global Settings" card, hit apply but Display 1 remains on the Intel card. If I disable the Intel card the laptop changes to a Microsoft viewer or something to that effect.

I know that it looks like Display 1 (the laptop monitor) shows that it is using the Intel card when I look up Advanced Display Settings. I play GTA V and other games so it must switch back and forth so the Nvidia 1050ti runs the games.

Eegore

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
Yes all the drivers have been updated. I found out that if the HDMI port has a conversion then the screen will continually flash and reset, or stop working. HDMI-DisplayPort wont work at all, HDMI-DVI both screens go black, or flash reset, HDMI VGA flashes and resets, HDMI-HMDI works but only on TVs.

Eegore

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
The driver on this link indicates it is "not valid" for my PC, I did auto-detect at the support site for Intel and it indicated I had the most current driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphic...

UPDATE: Dell Support indicates that there is "a limitation to the technology", and that the PC is "probably designed to work in that way."

So it seems their newest Inspiron gaming models are not designed to hook to an external monitor, projector, or anything besides a TV. A severe limitation for a PC of this price, and would have been nice to know before purchasing as this makes the laptop essentially useless to me now.

Rob_57

Reputable
Nov 14, 2016
Has something change recently in Windows in this area? I've just tried connecting a laptop to a BENQ data projector (that I've used many times before) and it reported "RGB out of range". I found this display settings area and it was saying 1028x768 as the desktop resolution but the active signal resolution was 1920x1080. I assume this was why the data projector was not displaying the image. I messed around the Intel display properties and now the desktop resolution matches the active signal resolution and it works fine.

https://i.imgur.com/okJoyNs.png

I've never had to mess around like this before so I suspect something has changed in Windows via an update since I last used this data projector.

Solution