.cfg file opens as notepad

TacticalBacon

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
I opened my cfg file in notepad then after closing it and saving it, the .cfg file still opens as notepad. I've tried doing "Save As" all files but that didn't work.

Solution
He is talking about LAG, not FPS, lag is totally different, and although this mod might help some people, it wont stop lag that is caused by the servers in the path between your PC and the game server.

Also, not only did I not see a before/after comparison, by running in a real match, there is no way to actually say it worked or it didnt work.

Leatrix Latency Fix is one I have tried that does improve latency, and works (in theory) for everyone; the minimum theoretical ping from where I am to my favourite game server is 80ms; my pings prior to running the fix were averaging 100-110ms, and after the fix they were 85-95ms; which although not a huge improvement overall, IS a big reduction (~50%) in the 30ms difference between best...

Tomatoes

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
1)Open File Explorer
2)Click the View tab in File Explorer
3)Click the box next to File name extensions to see file extensions
4)Click the box next to Hidden items to see hidden files
5) Profit??

Hope that helped

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
The files will still work correctly, the programs that use them will continue to do so; there isnt one single program that is the default for opening them either, NotePad is as good as any.

I expect at some point you looked at, or edited a .cfg file and accidentally set NotePad as the default program.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
He is talking about LAG, not FPS, lag is totally different, and although this mod might help some people, it wont stop lag that is caused by the servers in the path between your PC and the game server.

Also, not only did I not see a before/after comparison, by running in a real match, there is no way to actually say it worked or it didnt work.

Leatrix Latency Fix is one I have tried that does improve latency, and works (in theory) for everyone; the minimum theoretical ping from where I am to my favourite game server is 80ms; my pings prior to running the fix were averaging 100-110ms, and after the fix they were 85-95ms; which although not a huge improvement overall, IS a big reduction (~50%) in the 30ms difference between best possible and what I was actually getting.

As for improving fps; if you have a large multi core cpu, by running the task manager and selecting the game exe file, you can set "Affinity" for the game to use the cores that the system is using least for back ground and OS tasks.

I dont know how many cores Gmod want to use, and I dont know what your cpu spec is, so I dont know if it will be of any use to you.

With enough cores, and a game that cannot use all of them, I have increased the cpu cycle time the game has access to by around 20-30%.

My cpu has 6 cores, and my favourite game only uses only 2.

Solution

Captain, how this relates to your previous (and excellent) answer on what to do with .CFG files?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Sorry, I obviously entered the reply in the wrong tab last night; I often have a dozen or so open, and must have accidentally switched without noticing..

[red face]

I will have to find the correct question and post this answer again!