Problem when installing Windows 10

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
So recently I was formatting my system when suddenly the computer blacked out and when i tried to boot it up its says that there are files missing from system32. What I was gonna do was to clean install a copy of windows 10. Downloaded the ISO file and installed it in my usb.

The problem I'm having is when I boot using the legacy bios, It won't recognize my USB as a boot drive even if it is at #1 boot priority but when i switched the bios to UEFI it does boot to the installation but it said that i to have a gpt partition which requires to format the drive to I think is the UEFI version to install windows. Is there any workaround to this? I'm very new to this and I don't want to loose my files.

look in the bios under boot for csm. it a security feature intel put in the mb and bios to keep people with usb sticks to copy or boot pc. turn it off and see if your usb stick will boot. on your stick did you use the free windows media creation tool to make it??

Colif

Win 11 Master
So if you were formatting the drive, what files are you worried about losing?

The GPT error is badly written. The normal one is because it found an MBR formatted drive and Win 10 prefers GPT, it should just tell you to delete all the partitions on the drive and click the next key, win 10 will create the 4 partitions it uses and continue the install process.

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Can't seem to find csm on my bios. I took some shots for you to double check: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-0UM3oNoe1lOFFEOKs8tA7sP0fyL3K4U

And yes, I did use the media creation tool though i used the ISO because when I tried to install it directly into the usb it gave me an error so I have to download it twice. I used Rufus to install it to the USB

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Well I primarily dont wanna lose steam cause if I did then I have to redownload 200+ gb size of games cause my internet has data caps so it would be really hard for me. Also maybe backups on clips i used for video editing. Good thing my school data is on my laptop so its safe.

So can I install windows with MBR format? Or I don't have a choice and should wipe my drive clean? cause unfortunately I don't have a spare Hard Drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

There should be a way to make PC use Legacy or CSM boot method and then all you should need to do is delete C drive and reinstall on that partition. But we need to figure out how to allow USB to boot in legacy so you can do that.

Is the 200gb steam folder on C or another Partition on the hdd? If it was on another hdd, you can re use the steam library without needing to download any games. All you do is install the client on C and point the default game library location at the old folder and Steam will find the games without downloading them again.

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
My motherboards model is H110m4-C2H

I am aware that you could just move the steam apps folder and let just steam rebuild itself but I don't really know what partition it is on since i bought this system as a prebuilt but from what I remember its on drive E

Edit: heres a picture of the partitions i believe the 50 gb free is where steam is installed while the 95 gb one is drive C:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/106kHUmKFIRHOMEk8zb8k1k6GSbeYQuYZ/view?usp=drivesdk

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Got a weird error saying that it can't find the windows install file when I clearly have it downloaded as an ISO on my download folder. Tried extracting the ISO but it still cant find the install file. It seems the software is at fault here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wdPekPf9kxAC2D7190zr6gzaFxSUz5ic/view?usp=sharing

gianjahz

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017

Ok dude thanks for your help really appreciate it!!

TRENDING THREADS