Strange IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal BSD and Driver Verify issue

Jun 4, 2018
Hi guys, I've been having some issues lately with Blue screening while playing games (Not happened yet outside of when I play games) and following some advice I found in other threads, among many other suggestions was one to enable driver verification.

Here is the latest small dump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15lZwJFuK8tfrlcNhB1cMZ6EdVgDo0uw7/view?usp=sharing from the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal Blue Screen.

I set Driver verifier up to scan all drivers and then rebooted my PC, when I then started getting a "driver verifier detected violation" blue screen loop as soon as Windows started booting up. I used a boot usb to disable the verifier again from CMD and have now got back into the system. There doesnt seem to have been a dump file created from any of the verifier blue screens oddly, which is why I've linked the one from just before then with the IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal error.

I'm pretty sure it must be a driver but have no idea how to open or read dump files if some kind sole could help :)

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Not sure if I should include the PSUs and hard drives? Would that be helpful?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the slightly longer backstory if its needed:

I had been having issues with my PC slowing right down - like 100% CPU usage doing nothing, and occasionally getting a "Disk read error" on boot which was oddly fixed by taking out power and SATA from my boot SSD and putting it back in each time it did it. It would happen like a couple times a day for a week then stop for months, until like two weeks ago when it started happening more and more.

I could not for the life of me determine what the actual cause was and had an old-ass CPU/Mobo/RAM so I decdied stuff it and replaced all of them two weeks ago now. I've checked the health of my primary SSD and two HDD drives with multiple software and they appear to all be healthy so I never replcaed them. The issue has been happening longer than I've had my current GPU and PSU so I've ruled them out as an issue.

I'm still using the same install of Windows 10 as I had on that system. I've not had that same exact issue as of yet, so I'm not sure if this new issue is related to the old one.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: OK, for some odd reason it seems despite deleting/disabling the verifier I still get the "driver verifier detected violation" issue on restartd. A random combiantion of booting to the BS, Automatic Windows Repair (Which cant do anything and reboots) and opening the Windows 10 boot media (Which again cant do anything since the verifier is already disabled at this point as it tells me no changes were made when I try to delete it again), I eventually seem to randomly get back in.

System is running like crap now though, slow as all hell for some reason. doing a sfc /scannow which is taking ages but I doubt it'll return anything useful :(

At this point I'm wondering if I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and fresh install.

edit: 1 word edited, no swearing on forums :)

Solution
You could try running system restore and see if you had a restore point that is recent. I normally tell people to run system restore and create a system repair point before running driver verifer as it can be hard to stop.

try typing this into command prompt(admin)
type verifer /reset and press enter
this should stop it from running at startup

it is always possible it is fending a bad driver at startup as it does run in background anyway.

I will get someone to read dump files.

So no I/O errors since swapping motherboard?

Same install? You didn't reinstall win 10 after replacing motherboard/CPU? that could be part of problem as it always helps to format a PC if you replace those 2 items. A lot of your drivers won't match.

Is win...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try running system restore and see if you had a restore point that is recent. I normally tell people to run system restore and create a system repair point before running driver verifer as it can be hard to stop.

try typing this into command prompt(admin)
type verifer /reset and press enter
this should stop it from running at startup

it is always possible it is fending a bad driver at startup as it does run in background anyway.

I will get someone to read dump files.

So no I/O errors since swapping motherboard?

Same install? You didn't reinstall win 10 after replacing motherboard/CPU? that could be part of problem as it always helps to format a PC if you replace those 2 items. A lot of your drivers won't match.

Is win 10 still activated? normally if you replace mobo/cpu it will deactivate if you simply swap drive across.

Solution

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/woQZ.html

File: 060418-7000-01.dmp (Jun 4 2018 - 14:37:31)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: hardware (Process: StateOfDecay2-)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You have version 0612 and the latest version is 0616. Note: Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.